Hoop with backspin - Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of friction and angular momentum on the motion of a rolling ball. When skidding, friction decreases translational motion while the torque increases rotational motion. However, when the ball starts to roll without slipping, its angular momentum is a combination of its rotational and translational angular momentum. The conversation also considers different scenarios for the final velocity of the ball, taking into account the contribution of initial velocity and the direction of angular momentum.
mintsnapple

Homework Statement

73flg2.png

Homework Equations

L = Iw
v = wr

The Attempt at a Solution

Friction acts on the ball while it is skidding, but goes away when the hoop starts to roll, because the velocity is 0 at a point on the ground. This is when v = wr.

When skidding, friction decreases translational motion but the torque increases rotation.

When the ball starts to roll without slipping, its angular momentum will be its rotational and translational angular momentum:
L_f = Iw_f + mrv_f
At this point, since w_f = v_f/R, and I for a hoop = MR^2

L_f = MR^2*v_f/R + MRv_f = 2MRv_f

a. In the beginning, there is only rotational angular momentum. L_i = Iw_i
Since w_i = v_i/2R and I = MR^2,
L_i = MR^2*v_i/2R = MRv_i/2
Equating L_i = L_f

MRv_i/2 = 2MRv_f
v_f = v_i/4

b. Similarly, L_i = MR^2 *v_i/R = MRv_i
Equating angular momentums,
MRV_i = 2MRv_f
v_f = v_i/2

c. Similarly, L_i = MR^2 *2v_i/R = 2MRv_i
So 2MRv_i = 2MRv_f
v_f = v_i

So, my answer for a is correct, however for b and c, the final velocities are 0 and -v_i/2, respectively. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

mintsnapple said:
L_f = MR^2*v_f/R + MRv_f = 2MRv_f
That looks good.

a. In the beginning, there is only rotational angular momentum. L_i = Iw_i

Is that true? What about the contribution of v0 to the initial angular momentum?

Also, be sure to take into account the directions of the angular momenta. Note that ω0 is a "backspin".

Related to Hoop with backspin - Conservation of Angular Momentum

1. What is "Hoop with backspin - Conservation of Angular Momentum"?

"Hoop with backspin - Conservation of Angular Momentum" is a scientific concept that explains the motion of a hoop when it is given backspin. It is based on the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How does backspin affect the motion of a hoop?

When a hoop is given backspin, it causes the hoop to rotate around its own axis. This rotation creates a torque, which causes the hoop to deviate from its original path and move in a circular motion. The backspin also helps to stabilize the hoop and keep it upright as it moves.

3. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object rotates around its own axis).

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a hoop with backspin?

In a hoop with backspin, the initial angular momentum is conserved because there is no external torque acting on the system. As the hoop rotates, the angular momentum remains constant, but the direction of the axis of rotation changes, causing the hoop to move in a circular path.

5. What real-life applications does the concept of "Hoop with backspin - Conservation of Angular Momentum" have?

The concept of "Hoop with backspin - Conservation of Angular Momentum" has various real-life applications, such as in sports like basketball and hula hooping. It is also utilized in the design of gyroscopes and other rotational devices, as well as in the study of celestial bodies and their movements.