Horizons Mission: How Will the New Horizons Probe Leave the Solar System?

• Thread starter Nacho
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about the Horizons Mission, including how the probe will eventually leave the solar system, its speed in relation to other NASA probes, and the possibility of it overtaking them in the future. It is mentioned that JPL will release more accurate information about the probe's trajectory and that it will likely visit Pluto before departing on a similar trajectory. The conversation also mentions that New Horizons will overtake some spacecrafts in the future, but not the Voyager probes due to their faster speed.
Nacho
Horizons Misson -- Questions

I looked for a topic on this, and couldn't find one. If anybody else has questions about it, please feel free to post them here.

If anybody knows ... I looked on the Horizons' website but didn't find (easy) answers.

In relation to the other two NASA probes leaving the solar system, how will this probe eventually leave the solar system? Same axis, completely different axis? Same side of he solar system? Different side? Different inclination to the ecliptic?

I've read how fast this probe is leaving the solar system. Will it overtake the other two probes in distance from Earth, and anytime soon?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In a few days, the position and velocity vectors will be released by JPL. If they include the anticipated post-Jupiter portion of the journey, I'll be able to answer your question very accurately.

Without these, I'll give you my best guesses. Since it's visiting Pluto, it will likely depart the solar system on a trajectory whose inclination is close to Pluto's. I believe (but I can't find a reference at the moment) that there is a little fuel left to divert it to other as-of-yet undiscovered Kuiper belt objects if they happen to lie near its post-Pluto trajectory, so that may change a little.

They will overtake the other departed spacecraft (Voyagers and Pioneers). My guess, about 25 years from now New Horizons will be the most distant man-made object.

JPL has released the figures.
There are 4 other spacecraft leaving the solar system.
Pioneer I
Pioneer II
Voyager I
Voyager II
New Horizons will overtake Pioneer I and Pioneer II in around the year 2200.
New Horizons will never overtake the Voyagers. They're traveling faster. Perhaps millions of years in the future will change this after the galaxy rather than the Sun becomes the dominant gravitational force on the probes.

FAQ: Horizons Mission: How Will the New Horizons Probe Leave the Solar System?

1. What is the Horizons Mission?

The Horizons Mission is a space exploration project conducted by the European Space Agency (ESA) to study the planet Mars. It involves the launch of an unmanned spacecraft to orbit Mars and gather data about its atmosphere, surface, and potential for life.

2. When was the Horizons Mission launched?

The Horizons Mission was launched on July 19, 2020, from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. It is expected to reach Mars in February 2021.

3. What are the objectives of the Horizons Mission?

The main objectives of the Horizons Mission are to study the Martian atmosphere, map its surface, and search for signs of past or present life. It also aims to understand the planet's geology and potential for future human exploration.

4. How long will the Horizons Mission last?

The Horizons Mission is expected to last one Martian year, which is equivalent to about 687 Earth days. However, if the spacecraft remains in good condition, it may be extended for additional research mission.

5. What technologies are being used in the Horizons Mission?

The Horizons Mission is equipped with a variety of instruments, including spectrometers, cameras, and radar systems, to collect data and images of Mars. It also uses advanced communication and navigation technologies to transmit data back to Earth.

Back