Horizontal component of the Coriolis force

MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Show that the horizontal component of the Coriolis force is independent of the direction of motion of the particle on Earth's surface.(The particle is moving on a horizontal plane.)
Relevant Equations
Newton's Laws in non-inertial reference frames.
The coriolis force that acts on the object moving on the Earth is: $$F_{cor}=2m(\vec v \times \vec \omega)$$##F_{cor}## is the Coriolis force, ##m## is the mass of the object, ## \vec{v}## is the velocity of the object in the Earth frame, and ## \vec{\omega}## is the angular velocity of the Earth.

Is it true to say that the horizontal component of this force is equal to ##2m \omega v \sin \theta## where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec \omega## and ##\vec v##?

Physics news on Phys.org
MatinSAR said:
Is it true to say that the horizontal component of this force is equal to ##2m \omega v \sin \theta## where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec \omega## and ##\vec v##?
That is the formula for the magnitude of the Coriolis force. Not for its horizontal component.

Likes MatinSAR
jbriggs444 said:
That is the formula for the magnitude of the Coriolis force. Not for its horizontal component.
Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I think I need to reread this chapter before trying to solve.