Horizontal Recoil Speed of gun

In summary: In a more complex problem, where there is friction, momentum is not conserved if you consider the wrong system. For example, if you have a gun and bullet in a system, but also the Earth in the system, momentum is conserved when you only consider the gun and bullet. However, if you also consider the Earth, momentum is not conserved.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

a 1200kg gun mounted on wheels shoots an 8kg projectile with a muzzle velocity of 600m/s at an angle of 30degrees above the horizontal. find the horizontal recoil speed of the gun

Homework Equations

KE= .5mvfE2 - .5MViE2

The Attempt at a Solution

to be honest I have read this several times and really do not understand what to do please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is happening is that the projectile is being shot out of the gun, so the impact of the projectile leaving is causing the recoil.

What principle do you know involves collisions and impacts?

elasticity?

or perhaps momentum?

Chica1975 said:
or perhaps momentum?

Right and in any sort of collision momentum is conserved. However, you have the gun at an angle, so you need to apply the conservation law in both horizontal and vertical directions.

can you please explain the conservation law to me - I have read the book several times but our language is not attuned.

In a simple way please tell me what it means. thanks

I have tried everything I can think of with momentum but I don't understand about the law of conservation of momentum and impulse - I think this is my problem.

Chica1975 said:
can you please explain the conservation law to me - I have read the book several times but our language is not attuned.

In a simple way please tell me what it means. thanks

I have tried everything I can think of with momentum but I don't understand about the law of conservation of momentum and impulse - I think this is my problem.

Essentially it is that the total momentum in a closed system is zero.

or in easier terms

the momentum before the event = momentum after the event
(in a given direction).

Remember that momentum is only conserved when no external force acts on the system.
momentum along X is anyway conserved
But for Y, if you take gun and bullet as system then its not conserved
its conserved only when you system is GUN+BULLET+EARTH

well you'll say that it doesn't matter what i consider as system as momentum is conserved anyway but in more complex problems especially when friction is involved, not considering right system makes problems difficult and maybe also lead to wrong answer!

FAQ: Horizontal Recoil Speed of gun

1. What is the horizontal recoil speed of a gun?

The horizontal recoil speed of a gun refers to the speed at which the gun moves backwards after firing a shot. It is a measure of the force exerted on the gun by the escaping gases and the impact of the bullet leaving the barrel.

2. How is the horizontal recoil speed of a gun measured?

The horizontal recoil speed of a gun is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). It can be calculated by dividing the mass of the gun by the mass of the bullet, and then multiplying that by the velocity of the bullet.

3. What factors can affect the horizontal recoil speed of a gun?

The horizontal recoil speed of a gun can be influenced by various factors such as the gun's weight and design, the type and caliber of bullet being fired, the amount and type of gunpowder used, and the angle at which the gun is held.

4. Is there a maximum horizontal recoil speed for guns?

Yes, every gun has a maximum horizontal recoil speed that it can reach. This is usually determined by the gun's design and the amount of gunpowder used. Going beyond this maximum recoil speed can damage the gun and potentially harm the shooter.

5. How does the horizontal recoil speed of a gun affect accuracy?

The horizontal recoil speed of a gun can significantly impact its accuracy. A higher recoil speed can cause the gun to kick back more, making it difficult for the shooter to maintain aim and resulting in less accuracy. This is why many shooters use techniques to reduce recoil and improve their accuracy.