Horizontal Tangent in Parametric Equations: Finding & Understanding

In summary: In single var. calc. that would be at a maximum or minimum point for the function. This concept can also be applied to parametric equations, where the horizontal tangent occurs at a point where the derivative of y with respect to t is equal to zero. This is because the derivative of a parametric equation is the ratio of the derivatives of x and y with respect to t. Therefore, to find the value of t where the horizontal tangent occurs, you can set the derivative of y with respect to t equal to zero. This explains why dy/dt is used instead of dy/dx or dx/dt in finding the horizontal tangent. The relationship between x and y in parametric form can be described using the derivative of y with respect to
mill
If the tangent is horizontal, it is where the tangent is zero. In single var. calc. that would be at max. or min. for example. I am confused about what horizontal tangent refers to when I am given a parametric equation.

E.g. At what value of t does x=t^2 -t and y=t^2 +t have a horizontal tangent?

The answer is -1/2 which can be found by setting y'=0. I don't understand why this happens though. As in, why dy/dt rather than dy/dx or why does dx/dt not apply? In describing the curve, what is the relationship between the two (x and y given in parametric form) that I could just only look at dy/dt?

My first instinct was to look for dy/dx which would look something like (2t+1)/(2t-1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is pretty simple.

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/itex].

So for [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] to be zero, the numerator i.e [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] must be zero. And hence the answer.

Thanks.

mill said:
If the tangent is horizontal, it is where the tangent is zero.

More accurately, if the tangent is horizontal, it is where the slope of the tangent line is zero.

FAQ: Horizontal Tangent in Parametric Equations: Finding & Understanding

What is a horizontal tangent in parametric equations?

A horizontal tangent in parametric equations is a point on a curve where the tangent line is parallel to the x-axis, meaning it has a slope of 0. This means that at that particular point, the rate of change of the curve in the x-direction is 0.

How do you find a horizontal tangent in parametric equations?

To find a horizontal tangent in parametric equations, you first need to find the derivatives of the parametric equations with respect to t. Then, set the derivative of the x-equation equal to 0 and solve for t. This will give you the value of t for the point where the horizontal tangent occurs. Finally, plug this value of t into the y-equation to find the y-coordinate of the point.

Why is it important to understand horizontal tangents in parametric equations?

Understanding horizontal tangents in parametric equations is important because it can help you identify critical points on a curve, which are points where the slope is either 0 or undefined. These points are essential for finding the maximum and minimum values of a curve, as well as understanding the behavior of the curve.

Are horizontal tangents possible in all parametric equations?

No, not all parametric equations will have horizontal tangents. It depends on the shape and behavior of the curve described by the equations. Some curves may have multiple horizontal tangents, while others may not have any at all.

What other types of tangents are there in parametric equations?

In addition to horizontal tangents, there are also vertical tangents and oblique tangents in parametric equations. Vertical tangents occur when the slope of the curve is undefined, while oblique tangents occur when the slope of the curve is a non-zero constant.

Back