Hospitalization Withdrawals Effect on Admissions

• Admissions
  • Thread starter PhotonSSBM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Admissions
In summary, the person was hospitalized for medical reasons and had to withdraw from four classes. They are concerned about explaining this to graduate school admissions, but it is appropriate to simply state that they withdrew for medical reasons. Their high GPA and strong research background will also support their application. It is not necessary to provide medical details to admissions staff.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
So I was hospitalized for some shenanigans with my brain wanting to kill me and had to withdraw late in the semester. 4 classes now have W's and I don't know how I could explain that to admission staff at grad school. Is it appropriate to put such things on personal essays or am I going to have to go through some other route to communicate with them about this discrepancy?

Fwiw my GPA is high and I will have strong research background when I apply in a year.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you withdrew for medical reasons it shouldn't have any effect on graduate school admissions. A simple: "withdrew in winter semester 2017 due to a medical reason" is sufficient to explain it.

Likes PhotonSSBM
I agree with Choppy. Citing medical reasons earns a lot of privacy after that. Probably best not to give medical details, and lots of laws against admissions folks prying.

Likes PhotonSSBM

Related to Hospitalization Withdrawals Effect on Admissions

1. What is the "hospitalization withdrawals effect" on admissions?

The "hospitalization withdrawals effect" on admissions refers to the phenomenon where patients who are hospitalized for a prolonged period of time experience a decline in their overall health and may require additional hospitalizations or admissions in the future.

2. How does hospitalization withdrawal affect admissions?

Hospitalization withdrawal can affect admissions by decreasing the overall health of the patient, leading to further hospitalizations. It may also affect the patient's ability to function independently and may require more intensive care or support, resulting in increased admissions.

3. What are the common reasons for hospitalization withdrawals?

Some common reasons for hospitalization withdrawals include complications from a primary illness or injury, adverse reactions to medications, or the development of new health issues during the hospital stay.

4. Can hospitalization withdrawals be prevented?

In some cases, hospitalization withdrawals can be prevented by closely monitoring the patient's condition and providing appropriate care and treatment. However, in certain situations, such as when a patient has a severe or chronic illness, hospitalization withdrawals may be unavoidable.

5. How can healthcare providers address the hospitalization withdrawals effect on admissions?

Healthcare providers can address the hospitalization withdrawals effect on admissions by closely monitoring patients during their hospital stay, providing appropriate follow-up care and support after discharge, and working to prevent complications or relapses that may lead to future admissions.