How Accurate is the Science in Angels and Demons?

• Thread starter Leonardo Sidis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code
In summary, the conversation revolves around the books and movies The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. The participants share their opinions and thoughts on the scientific and religious aspects of the book, as well as the movie adaptation. Some also mention the casting choice for the main character and the use of real facts in the fictional story. The conversation ends with a comment on CERN's website addressing the myths presented in the book.
Leonardo Sidis
the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons...what else?

I'm just curious about the opinions of everyone here on the Da Vinci Code, and Angels and Demons, especially concerning the 'scientific' side of the latter. Since many people here are pretty knowledgeable about a lot of the stuff in the Angels and Demons such as antimatter, CERN, particle accelerators, etc. (except me), I thought it would be interesting to here your opinions on this as well as the books overall and/or the movie.

I thought Angels and Demons was slightly better, but both books were good. Just thought I'd also mention that the movie SUCKED!
For those of you who have seen the movie and read the books, try to imagine seeing the movie without having read either book to see how bad of a movie it really is lol. I wouldn't have been able to follow it at all. Tom Hanks doesn't fit the Harvard Academic role well at all in my opinion. He's more of a Forrest Gump kind of actor :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Leonardo Sidis said:
I'm just curious about the opinions of everyone here on the Da Vinci Code, especially concerning the 'scientific' side of it. Since many people here are pretty knowledgeable about a lot of the stuff in the Da Vinci Code such as antimatter, CERN, particle accelerators, etc. (except me), I thought it would be interesting to here your opinions on this as well as the book overall and/or the movie.

All of that was in Angels and Demons, I don't think there was much of a scientific side to The Da Vinci Code at all, it was mostly religious stuff.

wow, thanks, you're completely right. I'm sorry, I'm very tired and I mixed up the plots (it's 4:30 am here)

I'll edit my first post

CERN's website has some comments about Angels and Demons:
http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Content/Chapters/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Leonardo Sidis said:
Tom Hanks doesn't fit the Harvard Academic role well at all in my opinion. He's more of a Forrest Gump kind of actor :)
I still haven't seen the movie, but yeah, as soon as I heard they cast him for that part, I didn't understand that at all. He just doesn't at all fit my image of the character.

As for the "science" in the book, just like most of the religious content in the book, it's fiction, made up to make a good story, with just enough facts to make it sound slightly real (yes, CERN exists, and they have a particle accelerator, but they aren't creating new universes in it :rolleyes:).

Oh, just checked out CERN's website on that. Good idea for them to do that to dispel the myths.

Related to How Accurate is the Science in Angels and Demons?

1. What is "The Da Vinci Code" about?

"The Da Vinci Code" is a mystery thriller novel written by Dan Brown. It follows the story of symbologist Robert Langdon and cryptographer Sophie Neveu as they try to unravel a secret about the Holy Grail.

2. Is "The Da Vinci Code" based on real events?

The novel is a work of fiction, but it does include some historical references and real locations. However, many of the events and characters are purely fictional.

3. What is the controversy surrounding "The Da Vinci Code"?

Some religious groups and organizations have expressed concern about the novel's depiction of historical events and religious figures. They believe that the book presents a distorted view of Christianity and undermines the beliefs of the church.

4. Has "The Da Vinci Code" been adapted into any other forms of media?

Yes, the novel has been adapted into a film starring Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard. There have also been video games and a stage adaptation based on the book.

5. Are there any other books by Dan Brown that are related to "The Da Vinci Code"?

Yes, Dan Brown has written several other novels that are loosely connected to "The Da Vinci Code." These include "Angels & Demons," "The Lost Symbol," and "Inferno."