How are correlation functions defined for non-uniform operator theories?

• Thread starter UndeadCat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses Green's functions or correlation functions, which are defined in two different ways and are equivalent. The question is raised about how to define these functions when not all operators are the same, and resources are suggested for further understanding. There is also a mention of a possible solution, but it is not confirmed if it answers the question.
UndeadCat
Hi all, this is a question about Green's functions (sometimes called corrolation functions), used in the LSZ reduction formula. They are defined in section 3.7 of http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/three.pdf in two different (but equivalent) ways:
G(n)(x1, x2...xn):= <[itex]\Omega[/itex]|T{[itex]\Phi[/itex]1H[itex]\Phi[/itex]2H...[itex]\Phi[/itex]nH}|[itex]\Omega[/itex]> = <0|T{[itex]\Phi[/itex]1[itex]\Phi[/itex]2...[itex]\Phi[/itex]n}S|0>/<0|S|0> = sum of all connected Feynman graphs (where |[itex]\Omega[/itex]> is the true vacuum of the interacting theory, normalized to H|[itex]\Omega[/itex]> = 0; [itex]\Phi[/itex]nH = [itex]\Phi[/itex](xn) in the Heisenberg picture; T is the time-ordering operator and S is the scattering matrix). The link above has a very nice proof that these are all equivalent, but my question is: how, then, does one define the correlation functions for a theory where NOT all the operators are the same? At a guess, it would be defined as the above with a different choice of field operators as each combination for the LSZ formula requires...can anyone verify this or else tell me how such objects are calculated or where I can find out more?
Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of some resources where some of the phenomena mentioned related to Green's functions are calculated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello

I am not totally sure I understood your question, and I couldn't access the link you posted (although I did take that course by David Tong, once upon a time!)

In general the greens / correlation functions used in the LSZ formula can involve different fields operators. I think Srednicki chapters 5-10 give a nice walkthrough from the LSZ formula to scattering amplitudes ( don't panic, very short chapters and available online : http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html ).

You may find problem 9.5 particularly illuminating. It doesn't need path integrals, so may be more in line with Tong's treatment.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I would guess you'd would have something like this:
G(n,m)(x1, x2...xn ,y1, y2...ym) instead of
G(n)(x1, x2...xn)

in the single field case you have to specify the number of fields and in the two field case you specify the number of both fields. not sure if I answered your question

Related to How are correlation functions defined for non-uniform operator theories?

1. What is the purpose of studying correlation/Green's functions?

Correlation and Green's functions are used in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics to understand the relationship between two or more variables. They help us analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as atoms and molecules, and can provide insights into the underlying physical processes.

2. How are correlation/Green's functions calculated?

Correlation functions are calculated by taking the average of the product of two quantities at different points in time. Green's functions are derived from the correlation functions and represent the response of a system to an external disturbance.

3. What is the difference between correlation and Green's functions?

Correlation functions measure the relationship between two variables at different points in time, while Green's functions describe the response of a system to an external disturbance. Correlation functions are often used to calculate Green's functions, but they serve different purposes.

4. What are some real-world applications of correlation/Green's functions?

Correlation and Green's functions have a wide range of applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, material science, and chemistry. They are used to study the properties of materials, understand phase transitions, and predict the behavior of complex systems.

5. How do correlation/Green's functions relate to quantum mechanics?

Correlation and Green's functions are essential tools in quantum mechanics. They help us understand the behavior of quantum systems and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes. They also allow us to study the effects of quantum entanglement and quantum coherence in physical systems.