How are eigenvalues connected to the solutions of the Schrödinger equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a text on quantum physics and the difficulties of understanding the terms used. The text discusses the time-independent Schrödinger equation and the calculations for the solutions of the wave functions. The concept of eigenvalues is introduced and it is explained that they are the values of the Hamiltonian on the wave function. The book also discusses the operators that operate on the wave function and their properties. Ultimately, the conversation seeks help in connecting the mathematical theory to its application. The summary concludes with the steps involved in solving the Schrödinger equation and ensuring the continuity and normalization of the wave functions.
Leo32
I'm reading an introductionary text on quantum physics and am stumbling a bit with the terms used.

The text discusses a finite potential box (one dimension, time independent). It calculates the conditions for the solutions of the wave functions, which I can follow perfectly.

At that point however, the text starts mentioning eigenvalues, completely out of the blue. After pondering already a few hours over what the autor might mean by it, the only possibility I see is that these are the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian on the wave function.
From these eigenvalues, the text loops foreward to present the solutions right away.

Can somebody help me complete the jump from local conditions for wave functions, to eigenvalues, and then to actual solutions ?

Thanks !
Leo

Physics news on Phys.org
The book should have a discussion of operators that operate on the wave function. The Hilbert operator is one of them, but there should also be position and momentum operators. Since they operate on the complex wave function they are complex operators. The book should state or show that these operators are Hermitian (or it may possibly say self adjoint :)), and that this makes the eigenvalues of those operators real. Then when you apply the operator to the wave function you get a set of real eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the wave function. The eigenvector represents a possible outcome of your observation and the eigenvalue, when normalized, gives the probability of that outcome among the set.

selfAdjoint said:
The book should state or show that these operators are Hermitian (or it may possibly say self adjoint :)), and that this makes the eigenvalues of those operators real.

Any good QM book should not discuss hermitean/symmetrical operators (hence nonselfadjoint) wrt physical observables.Though the distinction between those type of operators is merely mathematical subtility,it was important enough to be stated in the Second Principle of QM,where the notion of "self adjoint" is used to depict liniar operators (on the separable Hilbert space of states) associated by the so-called "quantization" to the obserable quantities.

Leo32 said:
I'm reading an introductionary text on quantum physics and am stumbling a bit with the terms used.

The text discusses a finite potential box (one dimension, time independent). It calculates the conditions for the solutions of the wave functions, which I can follow perfectly.

At that point however, the text starts mentioning eigenvalues, completely out of the blue. After pondering already a few hours over what the autor might mean by it, the only possibility I see is that these are the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian on the wave function.
From these eigenvalues, the text loops foreward to present the solutions right away.

Can somebody help me complete the jump from local conditions for wave functions, to eigenvalues, and then to actual solutions ?

Thanks !
Leo

It's better if you change the book and consider something else to guide you through learning QM.A nice description of the problem appears in A.Messiah:"Quantum mechanics",volume 1,chapter 3 (the edition is irrelevant) and in Siegfried Fluegge"Practical Quantum Mechanics I",Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York,1971,chapter 2 ("One body problems without spin").
Good luck!

Leo32,

Sounds like you're on the right track. The time-indepedent Schrodinger equation is:

[tex]H\psi = E\psi[/tex]

where H is the Hamiltonian and E is the energy.

This is an eigenvector equation, where the linearly-independent solutions are the eigenvectors of H, and the corresponding eigenvalues are the values of E which make the equation hold for the different [tex]\psi[/tex]s.

selfAdjoint said:
The book should have a discussion of operators that operate on the wave function. The Hilbert operator is one of them, but there should also be position and momentum operators. Since they operate on the complex wave function they are complex operators. The book should state or show that these operators are Hermitian (or it may possibly say self adjoint :)), and that this makes the eigenvalues of those operators real.

It does carry the discussion, but not in an "applied" way so to speak. I was just strugling to connect the more or less mathematical theory to the application in this case. Think I got it now however, but just to check:

- The Schrödinger equation is basically a differential equation, which also contains the conditions for the calculations of eigenvalues (Hamiltonean being the matrix, E being the eigenvalue and the wave function being the eigenvector)
- Calculate solutions for the Schrödinger equation for various conditions (here, the presence of a fixed potential over a certain range)
- Put foreward conditions that the wave functions are continuous and their derivatives as well
- Make sure the integral of the probability (psi*psi) of the total interval = 1

Thanks !

Leo

Related to How are eigenvalues connected to the solutions of the Schrödinger equation?

What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of a quantum system that represents the probability amplitude of finding the system in a particular state. It is a complex-valued function that describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

What is an eigenvalue in relation to a wave function?

An eigenvalue is a constant that represents the energy of a particular state of a quantum system. It is obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation for the wave function of the system. The square of the wave function at a specific point is proportional to the probability of finding the system in that state.

Why are eigenvalues important in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the quantized energy levels of a system. These energy levels determine the behavior and properties of particles on a microscopic scale, and they play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

What is the relationship between wave function and eigenvalues?

The wave function of a quantum system contains information about the possible states that the system can be in, and the eigenvalues represent the energy levels associated with each state. The square of the wave function at a specific point gives the probability of finding the system in that state with the corresponding eigenvalue.

How do eigenvalues change when a wave function is measured?

When a wave function is measured, the corresponding eigenvalue is obtained as the result. This is because the measurement process "collapses" the wave function, causing it to take on a specific value, and the eigenvalue represents the energy associated with that state. Subsequent measurements may result in different eigenvalues, reflecting the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.