How are expectation values calculated?

In summary: The expectation values are the average of the products of the individual energy eigenvalues of the harmonic oscillator.
Cosmossos
Hello,
Can someone explain to me how the expectation values are calculated in the following picture:
untitled.JPG

I mean , What did they do after the brackets? What did they multiply with what?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
what kind of states are those [tex]|z>[/tex] states?

If those were enrgy-eigen-states of the harmonic oscillator, [tex]<z|a^\dagger a|z> \neq |z|^2[/tex].

[tex]<z|a^\dagger a|z> = z[/tex] would be correct.

Yes, I'm talking about harmonic oscillator. I don't understand how did they get the avg expression with the zs. (from the question mark to the right)

For exmple, what's the value of <z|a|z> , <z|a+|z> etc. and why?

Cosmossos said:
Yes, I'm talking about harmonic oscillator. I don't understand how did they get the avg expression with the zs. (from the question mark to the right)

For exmple, what's the value of <z|a|z> , <z|a+|z> etc. and why?

<z|a|z> =<z|a+|z>=0

since a and a+ are creation and annihilation operators:
a|z> is proportional to |z-1>
a+|z> is proportional to |z+1>

for further explanation please see this pdf file: http://iftia9.univ.gda.pl/~sjk/skok/ou01.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank but I don't see there how to calculate mean value (expectation value) of x and p for exmple. Can you try to explain to me how did they got what they wrote in the picture I attached earlier?

should I calculate them with integral accordering to the formula <a|x|a>=integral(a*xa)?
But it seems like they did it in a much simpler and easy way.

You can write x and p in terms of a and a+

since by definition:

[tex]a := \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}(x+\frac{ip}{m\omega})[/tex]
and
[tex]a^\dagger := \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}(x-\frac{ip}{m\omega})[/tex]

You can invert these two formulas to get x an p:

[tex]x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(a+a^\dagger)[/tex]
[tex]p = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m \omega}{2}}i(a^\dagger-a)[/tex]

Now you can use formulas 8.38a and 8.38b from the pdf-file to calculate x and p.

o.k I'll try it, and is true :
untitled.JPG

Related to How are expectation values calculated?

1. What is an expectation value in scientific terms?

An expectation value is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to represent the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, in a particular quantum state.

2. How is an expectation value calculated?

To calculate an expectation value, you need to first determine the quantum state of the system and the operator that represents the physical quantity you want to find the average value of. Then, you use the formula: expectation value = , where is the operator and is the quantum state.

3. How is an expectation value different from a measurement?

An expectation value is a predicted average value, while a measurement is the actual observed value of a physical quantity. The expectation value is calculated using mathematical formulas, while a measurement is obtained through experimental methods.

4. What does the magnitude of an expectation value represent?

The magnitude of an expectation value represents the most probable value of a physical quantity in a specific quantum state. It does not necessarily represent the actual value that will be measured, but rather the average value that would be obtained if the measurement was repeated multiple times.

5. Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative. This means that the average value of the physical quantity in the given quantum state is negative. It does not necessarily mean that the actual measured value will be negative, as the measurement can still yield a positive value.