How are member forces calculated in a pin jointed truss structure?

• Thread starter xrayzulu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin Truss
In summary, the conversation is about a pin jointed truss structure and the worked solution for determining member forces using the method of joints. The solution involves finding reactions at joints A and C and then isolating each joint one by one and applying the law of equilibrium. The member forces are axial and can be solved for using geometry and trigonometry. The solution provided outlines the steps to finding the member forces and encourages the person to try it themselves.
xrayzulu
Hello all.

I am give a pin jointed truss structure. (Look at attached jpeg image)

I have a worked solution of:

F2*4 + F1*3-Av*6=0

Av=1/6(3F1+4F2)=600kN
Ch=F2=600kN
Cv=Av-F1=200kN

Member forces:

S1=-5/4 Av = -750kN
S2=-CH=-600kN
S5=3/4 Av=450kN
S3=-5/4 s4=250kN
S4=-Cv=-200kN

l1=5m l2=3m l3=5m l4=4m l5=6m

-----------------------------------

What I don't understand is how the member forces are worked out in the solution I am given, if some one could explain this.

Thanks!

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
I gather you have found the reactions at A and C, but the member forces wer given to you and you don't know how they were derived. Use the method of joints, whereby you isolate each joint one by one, starting with the simplest, and apply the law of equilibrium (sum of F_x = 0 and sum of F_y = 0) at each joint. Pure truss member forces are always axial, dircted along the longitudinal axis of the member, inward or outward from the joint. You have to use geometry and trig (pythagorean theorem) to solve for the member forces or component forces in the equilibrium equations. Start by isolating joint C to solve for s2 and s4, then isolate joint A to solve for s1 and s5, etc. Give it a try.

Related to How are member forces calculated in a pin jointed truss structure?

1. What is a pin jointed truss?

A pin jointed truss is a type of structure commonly used in engineering and construction. It consists of a series of bars or beams connected by pin joints at each end, allowing for the transfer of both tensile and compressive forces.

2. How does a pin jointed truss work?

A pin jointed truss works by distributing the forces acting on it through the various members and joints. Each joint is designed to be able to rotate freely, allowing the structure to remain stable and support heavy loads.

3. What are the advantages of using a pin jointed truss?

One advantage of using a pin jointed truss is that it is lightweight, yet still able to withstand significant amounts of weight and stress. It is also relatively easy to construct and can be used in a variety of applications, such as bridges, roofs, and cranes.

4. What are the limitations of a pin jointed truss?

One limitation of a pin jointed truss is that it is not very rigid, meaning it can be susceptible to bending or buckling under certain conditions. Additionally, the pin joints can experience significant amounts of stress, which may require additional reinforcement.

5. How can I calculate the forces in a pin jointed truss?

The forces in a pin jointed truss can be calculated using basic principles of statics and the equations of equilibrium. By breaking down the truss into individual sections and analyzing the forces acting on each member, the overall forces and stresses can be determined.