How are probabilistic equations of physics usually formulated?

• Thread starter Mingy Jongo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Seems like a waste of time to me.In summary, it seems that experiments are done first, and then a function is searched for that matches the results.
Mingy Jongo
Are they derived from accepted laws and then tested, or are experiments carried out first and then a function is searched for that matches the results (or possibly both, or neither)? For example, how would an equation that gives the probability of electron locations be thought of? My "gut feeling" is that the former would be done, as the equations I've seen seem too precise to be otherwise, but as I do not have much experience in this field, I thought it would be better to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mingy Jongo said:
Are they derived from accepted laws and then tested, or are experiments carried out first and then a function is searched for that matches the results (or possibly both, or neither)? For example, how would an equation that gives the probability of electron locations be thought of? My "gut feeling" is that the former would be done, as the equations I've seen seem too precise to be otherwise, but as I do not have much experience in this field, I thought it would be better to ask.

I asked my QM professor this. He said Schrodinger just randomly decided to take the (well known) wave equation for string vibrations, etc. and modify it until it fit experimental data. Seems kind of sketchy to me... but hey, he has a Ph.D. :P

Last edited:
jtbell said:
No, Schrödinger did not proceed randomly, but was inspired by an analogy: quantum mechanics is to classical mechanics as wave optics is to geometrical (ray) optics. For some more details, see here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=418069#post418069

Nice post that you've linked to. I've always wondered why people feel compelled to make up answers instead of just saying "I don't know".

FAQ: How are probabilistic equations of physics usually formulated?

1. What is the meaning of "probabilistic equations" in physics?

Probabilistic equations in physics refer to mathematical models that use probability theory to predict the likelihood of different outcomes in a physical system. These equations take into account the inherent randomness and uncertainty in the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level.

2. How are probabilistic equations different from deterministic equations in physics?

Deterministic equations in physics aim to predict the exact behavior of a system, while probabilistic equations take into account the inherent uncertainty and randomness in physical systems. This means that probabilistic equations can only predict the likelihood of certain outcomes, rather than their exact values.

3. What are the key assumptions made when formulating probabilistic equations in physics?

The key assumptions made when formulating probabilistic equations in physics include the idea that the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level is inherently random, and that the probabilities of different outcomes can be calculated using mathematical tools such as probability theory and statistics.

4. How are probabilistic equations used in practical applications of physics?

Probabilistic equations in physics are used in a wide range of practical applications, including predicting the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators, modeling the behavior of complex systems such as weather patterns, and understanding the behavior of materials at the atomic level.

5. Can probabilistic equations accurately predict the behavior of physical systems?

While probabilistic equations can provide accurate predictions of the likelihood of certain outcomes, they cannot predict the exact behavior of physical systems. This is due to the inherent randomness and uncertainty at the quantum level. However, these equations are still extremely useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems in many practical applications.