How Are Reaction Forces Directed at Points A and D in a Supported Beam?

In summary, the uniform horizontal beam is hinged at point A and supported by a frictionless roller at point D. A force of 1000N at point B makes a 60 degree angle with the horizontal. The beam has a total weight of 400N. By noting that 3/4 of the beam lies between points A and D and 1/4 between points D and B, the x and y components of the reaction forces at points A and D can be calculated using the equations \sum Moments_on_A = 0, \sum Moments_on_D = 0, \sum Fy = 0, and \sum Fx = 0. The reaction at point D only has a y-component due to
ana111790

Homework Statement

The uniform horizontal beam is hinged to the ground at A and supported by a frictionless roller at D. Distance A to B is 4 m, A to D is 3 m. A force P with a magnitude of 1000N makes an angle 60 degrees with the horizontal at point B. The total Weight of beam is 400 N.

By noting that 3/4 of the beam lie between A and D and 1/4 between D and B calculate the x and y components of the reaction forces on the beam at A and D.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum Moments_on_A[/tex] = 0
[tex]\sum Moments_on_D[/tex] = 0
[tex]\sum Fy[/tex] = 0
[tex]\sum Fx[/tex] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the given picture and then drew the Free Body diagram.
The direction of the Reactive forces on A and D is unknown so I chose a random direction (up and to the right) to portray them.

[PLAIN]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8133/drawing3.jpg

My calculations:
(AK, AL, AB and so on represent the distance between point A to point K, L, B respectively.)
1) [tex]\sum M on A[/tex] = 0 = -W_1*AK - W_2*AL - Psin(60)*AB + R_D_y*AD
Solved for R_D_y = 1420 N (rounded to 3 sig figs)

2) [tex]\sum M on D[/tex] = 0 = - R_A_y*AD + W_1*DK - W_2*DL - Psin(60)*DB
Solved for R_A_y = -155 N

3) [tex]\sum Fx[/tex] = 0 = Pcos(60) + R_A_x + R_D_x = 0

R_A_x + R_D_x = 500N

4) [tex]\sum Fy[/tex] = 0 = -W_1 - W_2 - Psin(60) + R_D_y + R_A_y = 0
R_D_y + R_A_y = 1270 N Answer in the book is given as: (not rounded)
R_D = 1421 N, R_A_x = -500N, R_A_y = - 155 N

So these answers are giving R_D to be going straight up, not at an angle, so R_D given in the book is equal to my R_D_y, which makes R_D_x = 0.

My question is why is that/ how would I know to set R_D_x = 0 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reaction at point D has only a y-component because it is on a roller and free to move along the x-axis. Point D can only resist forces in the direction perpendicular to the beam. Point A is hinged and will have both x and y reaction components.

Related to How Are Reaction Forces Directed at Points A and D in a Supported Beam?

What is the direction of reaction forces?

The direction of reaction forces refers to the direction in which the forces act in response to an applied force. It is determined by the laws of motion and the properties of the objects involved.

How do you determine the direction of reaction forces?

The direction of reaction forces can be determined by using Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the reaction force will act in the opposite direction of the applied force.

Can the direction of reaction forces change?

Yes, the direction of reaction forces can change if the conditions or forces acting on an object change. For example, if the direction of an applied force changes, the direction of the reaction force will also change accordingly.

What is the significance of knowing the direction of reaction forces?

Knowing the direction of reaction forces is important in understanding and predicting the motion of objects. It also helps in designing structures and machines, as the direction of reaction forces can affect the stability and safety of these systems.

How does the direction of reaction forces affect equilibrium?

In order to achieve equilibrium, the forces acting on an object must be balanced. The direction of reaction forces can affect this balance, as an equal and opposite reaction force is required to keep an object in static equilibrium. If the direction of the reaction force is not in the opposite direction, the object will not be in equilibrium.

Back