How bad is it not to get a recommendation from an REU advisor?

In summary, the speaker is expressing their dissatisfaction with their REU experience and lack of accessibility and guidance from their advisor. They question whether they should ask for a recommendation from their advisor or from a professor who has shown interest in their work. They also suggest not over-emphasizing the REU experience unless it was particularly valuable.
xbomber88
So I haven't really been having a very good REU experience. My advisor has not made himself very accessible and I probably only spend like 20 minutes a week talking to him. Most the time I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing so I haven't really been working very hard on my project and have made very little progress. I barely ever even see my advisor and don't feel like he knows me at all and I haven't done a very good job on my project so should I even ask him for a recommendation? Would it be worse to have a not that good recommendation from an REU advisor or no recommendation at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much firsthand about grad school admissions, but I'm in an REU program right now, and I can tell you that in my program there are excellent advisers and bad advisers, excellent students and students who basically haven't done any work all summer. My point is that being in an REU doesn't automatically mean you should ask for a letter of recommendation from your adviser. I would think it's best to ask for letters from professors that seemed interested in you and saw you performing at your best.

What's the point of asking for a recommendation from someone who's completely out of touch with you, especially if you haven't accomplished all that much in the REU program? Getting into an REU program isn't a sign of extraordinary talent or anything, so I wouldn't over-emphasize your REU unless it was really worthwhile.

Related to How bad is it not to get a recommendation from an REU advisor?

1. How important is getting a recommendation from an REU advisor?

Getting a recommendation from an REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) advisor is very important. This is because it shows that you have successfully completed a research project and have gained valuable skills and knowledge in your field of study. It also demonstrates that you have the support and endorsement of a professional in your field, which can greatly benefit your future academic and career pursuits.

2. Will not having a recommendation from an REU advisor hurt my chances of getting into graduate school?

Not having a recommendation from an REU advisor may decrease your chances of getting into graduate school, as it is a common requirement for many programs. However, it is not the only factor considered in the admissions process. Admissions committees also take into account your academic performance, personal statement, and other letters of recommendation. Therefore, not having a recommendation from an REU advisor may not necessarily disqualify you from graduate school, but it is still highly recommended to have one.

3. Can I still apply for research positions without a recommendation from an REU advisor?

Yes, you can still apply for research positions without a recommendation from an REU advisor. However, having a recommendation from an REU advisor can make your application stand out and increase your chances of being selected for the position. It is also beneficial to have a recommendation from someone who has worked closely with you in a research setting, as they can speak to your skills and abilities in that specific area.

4. What can I do if I cannot get a recommendation from an REU advisor?

If you are unable to obtain a recommendation from an REU advisor, you can consider asking other professors or mentors who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities and research potential. You can also highlight any other research experiences or projects you have completed, as well as any relevant coursework or extracurricular activities that showcase your skills and interests in your field.

5. Is it better to have a mediocre recommendation from an REU advisor or no recommendation at all?

It is generally better to have a mediocre recommendation from an REU advisor than no recommendation at all. While a strong recommendation is ideal, having a mediocre one still shows that you have completed a research project and have gained experience and skills in your field. It may not have as much weight as a strong recommendation, but it can still positively contribute to your application.