How bad is this? Can't get reference letter from top researcher

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the individual is applying for a PhD in field X and has previously worked on a research project in this field under the guidance of a well-known figure, Prof Y. However, Prof Y is notoriously difficult to get a hold of and has not responded to requests for a reference letter. The individual is concerned that this could negatively impact their application, but is also considering asking another referee for a letter. Suggestions are given on how to potentially obtain a letter from Prof Y, including writing a draft for him to edit and explaining the importance of the letter. Ultimately, the individual was able to contact Prof Y and he agreed to write the letter.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

I'm applying for my phd in field X at the moment. Two years ago I did a 2-month research project on X under guidance of one of the leading figures of that field (Prof Y). Now, he is notoriously hard to get a hold of (even his phd students struggle) and he isn't responding to any of my requests for a reference letter (including calling his secretary who was supposedly going to give him a note). I know this sounds as if I did bad work and that's why he isn't giving any response, but really my research with him went well (he told me that himself afterwards) and as I said most people I know have a problem with getting hold of him (last year I managed to get a letter from him after finally being able to get hold of him).

So I'm thinking of giving up and asking another referee (who would probably write an ok/good letter; also I already have two good letters in the bank). I'm not worried about not getting a letter from a famous researcher (I wish that were it), what worries me: they will see I have done research with Prof Y (it would be foolish to leave out that experience in my Statement), and they will certainly know of him, so if I don't have a letter by him, I worry that they will conclude it was a bad experience? Or will they not assume that if my other letters (some research related) are good?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is natural to conclude that there is some reason that the famous researcher is not writing you a letter. Can someone else in the group write one?

Sadly there's no one relevant to ask in my case. Thanks for the honest response. I suppose I'll try to contact him again, but I'm afraid I'll just have to give up after that.

Surely you can find him in person somehow? Does he teach anything? Does he regularly attend any seminars? Is there any door you can sit in front for a couple hours until he will come by with high probability (just bring physics HW)?

f you know where he is I would go up to him and ask for the letter, beg him to write it soon. Explain that grad school means a lot to you and you are counting on him. The risk is that he is doesn't really want to write the letter. But you are implying the work went well. In this case I would not let politeness hurt my chances at grad school (And if he is famous that letter might really help).

If he was genuinely happy with your work he is unlikely to hold it against you that you were forceful in getting your letter. You will only come off annoying instead of driven if your work was sub-par.

Last edited:
I agree w/ deluks917. It's a pain to have to go to this trouble, but should be worth it in the end.

A very effective tactic with super busy superstar types is to write the letter yourself and then give them a draft. That way they only have to edit it or even just sign it if they agree with it. I would draft a letter, email it to him, and then hand him a physical copy as he leaves a lecture or something. You can even walk with him back to his office and explain when and why you need the letter. Assuming he is just busy and being a bit insensitive that should be enough to get him going on it.

Thanks for the support guys. I finally was able to contact him (which was quite hard since we're on different continents) and he agreed to write the letter :)

Related to How bad is this? Can't get reference letter from top researcher

1. How important is a reference letter from a top researcher?

A reference letter from a top researcher can greatly impact your career and academic opportunities. It serves as a validation of your skills and achievements, and can distinguish you from other candidates or applicants. It can also open doors to prestigious positions or programs.

2. Can I still get a good reference letter from another researcher?

Yes, a reference letter from any reputable researcher or professional in your field can still hold significant weight. It is important to choose someone who can speak to your qualifications and strengths, and who is familiar with your work.

3. Will not having a reference letter from a top researcher hurt my chances?

While having a reference letter from a top researcher can be beneficial, it is not the only factor that determines your success. Your own accomplishments and qualifications are more important. If you have strong references from other sources and a good track record, not having a letter from a top researcher may not negatively impact your chances.

4. What should I do if I cannot get a reference letter from a top researcher?

If you are unable to secure a reference letter from a top researcher, focus on building relationships with other professionals in your field who can provide strong references. You can also consider reaching out to the top researcher and politely explaining your situation, and asking if they can provide a reference based on their knowledge of your work.

5. Is it possible to be successful without a reference letter from a top researcher?

Yes, it is possible to achieve success without a reference letter from a top researcher. There are many factors that contribute to success, and a strong reference letter is just one of them. Focus on building your skills, networking, and seeking out opportunities that align with your goals and strengths.