How Bright Must an Asteroid Be to Catch an Amateur Astronomer's Eye?

In summary, the conversation discusses an asteroid that is launched from the asteroid belt, heading towards Earth. The asteroid is 30km wide and will appear dim at first, but as it approaches Earth, it will get brighter. The question is posed about when this asteroid would be noticed by astronomers, both professional and amateur. It is believed that luck plays a big role in this as someone would have to be imaging that area of the sky and notice the asteroid afterwards. It is also mentioned that the asteroid will have some motion in the sky and will not remain stationary. Amateur astronomers with high-quality equipment and variable star observers may be able to detect the asteroid before it is noticed by professionals.
chasrob
In a SF story I'm working up, an asteroid is launched(long story made short) from its orbit in the asteroid belt in a collision course with earth. It is 30km wide or so, one of 10,000 such planetoids in the belt, IIRC.

From the viewpoint here on earth, it is in the milky way of Gemini and Orion. Visual magnitude about 15, 16, at its distance. Dim. This is an alternate history in our equivalent of 1990 or so; before the interest in NEOs and the umpity dozens of surveys conducted to track them down. As it approaches, it'll get brighter and brighter, natch'.

My question is, how bright would it have to be before its noticed by astronomers; professional, or (most likely) the many amateurs out there? Visual magnitude, I mean. 8 or 10? Before naked eye visibility surely. Your best guess from what you know about the pros and their observatories and the many aficionados would be much appreciated.

I would think it would have very little lateral motion if its on a collision course, and if photographed by a survey, would appear to be just another star in the star clouds. So it would most likely be noticed by a lucky amateur and his 17" dobsonian.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would depend mostly on luck. Someone would have to be imaging that area of the sky and then notice that they picked up an asteroid afterwards. These are easily missed if you aren't looking for them. So I don't think you could give a time frame of when it would be detected. Also, it would not remain stationary in the sky, as the asteroid isn't headed straight for us, but will have to have it's orbit meet ours.

Yes, it will have some motion in the sky, as it's heading toward where the Earth will be(in a month after the launch:)). But, AIUI, asteroids were detected by their streaks across photo plates, at least before today's dedicated searches. Amateurs must number in the thousands around the world, many with superb equipment, taking CCD pics, that would make a 9 or 10 mag object stand out. Hell, the amateur variable star observers probably observe every square degree of the sky down to 10 or 12 every night.

Many comet hunters search "memorized" areas, in collusion with others, as I understand it. I would think even a fixed star of mag 9 or 10 would be noticed by them.

Related to How Bright Must an Asteroid Be to Catch an Amateur Astronomer's Eye?

1. What is an asteroid?

An asteroid is a small, rocky object that orbits the sun. They can range in size from a few feet to hundreds of miles in diameter.

2. How do scientists track asteroids on a collision course?

Scientists use telescopes and other instruments to track the movement of asteroids. They also use mathematical models to predict their future paths.

3. What happens if an asteroid collides with Earth?

If an asteroid collides with Earth, it can cause significant damage and destruction. The impact can create massive craters, trigger earthquakes and tsunamis, and even change the climate.

4. Can we prevent an asteroid from colliding with Earth?

There are several methods that scientists are exploring to prevent an asteroid from colliding with Earth. These include deflecting the asteroid's path with a spacecraft, using nuclear explosions, or even painting the asteroid to change its reflective properties.

5. How often do asteroids collide with Earth?

Small asteroids collide with Earth's atmosphere and burn up regularly, but larger collisions are less frequent. Major asteroid impacts, like the one that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, occur about once every 100 million years.