How can (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m give different results?

In summary, the concept of energy and coenergy in classical and relativistic physics are two distinct notions. In the classical case, both expressions for kinetic energy, ##\frac{p^2}{2m}## and ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##, give the same result. However, in the relativistic case, they do not equate to the energy or kinetic energy of an object, apart from in the Newtonian limit. This is because the relativistic expression for momentum is ##p=\gamma mv##, and the relativistic expression for kinetic energy is ##KE=(\gamma-1)mc^2##, where ##\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}##
sawer
I am trying to understand the energy and coenergy concept.

How can
$$Energy = \frac{P^2}{2m}$$
and
$$CoEnergy = \frac{1}{2} mv^2$$
be different?
If the reason is increasing of mass according to relativity, both of them have masses.I don't understand the differences...

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of these expressions are classical expressions for the kinetic energy of an object and give the same result in Newtonian physics, where ##p = mv##.

In relativity, neither of these expressions equate to the energy or the kinetic energy of an object apart from in the Newtonian limit.

What makes you think the expressions would give different results?

Orodruin said:
Both of these expressions are classical expressions for the kinetic energy of an object and give the same result in Newtonian physics, where ##p = mv##.

In relativity, neither of these expressions equate to the energy or the kinetic energy of an object apart from in the Newtonian limit.

What makes you think the expressions would give different results?
In The Mathematical Structure of Classical and Relativistic Physics book page:263
SMQJX8O.jpg

For relativistic cases the two equations give different results, but I don't understand why.
As I said if it is about mass increasing, then both of the equations have mass parameters. Because p=mv.

I am asking how can (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m be different? What is the reason?

In the relativistic case, ##p=\gamma mv##, and ##KE=(\gamma-1)mc^2##, where ##\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}##. If you Taylor expand the expression for ##\gamma## you can recover the Newtonian expressions where v<<c. But you can see that you would not expect your relationship to hold.

Basically, the equality you are expecting is only ever approximate. When you are at low velocity, the error in that approximation is not important.

Last edited by a moderator:
sawer said:
As I said if it is about mass increasing, then both of the equations have mass parameters. Because p=mv.

The mass as it is usually defined in modern theoretical physics is not increasing. See our FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-relativistic-mass-and-why-it-is-not-used-much.796527/
However, the relativistic expression for momentum is not ##p = mv##, but ##p = m\gamma v##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ibix said:
When you are at low velocity, the error in that approximation is not important.

When I am at high velocity also the same "error" can be applied this equation too: $$CoEnergy = \frac{1}{2} mv^2$$
Because it does have mass parameter as energy equation which is $$Energy = \frac{P^2}{2m}$$

I still don't understand why energy and coenergy formulas aren't equal for high velocity.

sawer said:
I still don't understand why energy and coenergy formulas aren't equal for high velocity.

Because both of them are approximations valid (and equal) only in the low-velocity limit.

sawer said:
When I am at high velocity also the same "error" can be applied this equation too: $$CoEnergy = \frac{1}{2} mv^2$$
Because it does have mass parameter as energy equation which is $$Energy = \frac{P^2}{2m}$$

The problem is that ##p\simeq mv## and ##KE\simeq mv^2/2##. So ##KE\simeq p^2/2m##. The approximation gets worse the faster you go.

As Orodruin noted, the m term in these equations does not change with velocity. Modern physics has largely dropped the concept of mass varying with velocity, primarily because of the confusion it causes in cases like this. The only thing changing in this case is v (and hence ##\gamma##). And since the full relativistic equations do not have the same dependence on v that the Newtonian ones, your co-energy expression is only approximate.

Hmm...
I think this made me confused because, the books about this topic give relativistic case for energy-coenergy equations. So I thought energy and co-energy is equal for classical mechanics but for relativity, only the "energy" function is valid but co-energy gives wrong result. But this is not true either, because in relativistic case neither energy nor co-energy equation is valid. Relativistic energy equation is different from them.

So why in world, do they give "relativistic case" for these energy-coenergy equations. It makes only confusion.

Thank you all...

sawer said:
the books about this topic

Which books? I have never seen the term "coenergy" before, so I'm curious as to which books you are reading.

sawer said:
Hmm...
I think this made me confused because, the books about this topic give relativistic case for energy-coenergy equations. So I thought energy and co-energy is equal for classical mechanics but for relativity, only the "energy" function is valid but co-energy gives wrong result. But this is not true either, because in relativistic case neither energy nor co-energy equation is valid. Relativistic energy equation is different from them.

So why in world, do they give "relativistic case" for these energy-coenergy equations. It makes only confusion.

Thank you all...

As opposed to the nonrelativistic case, the relativistic case shows that the two notions are actually distinct.
And this distinction leads to an example where the Lagrangian is not always equal to the kinetic-energy minus the potential energy.

Why? Isn't the title of the book referenced
"Mathematical Structure of Classical and Relativistic Physics"?

Likes sawer
PeterDonis said:
Which books? I have never seen the term "coenergy" before, so I'm curious as to which books you are reading.
System dynamics, engineering mechanics books.
Just google relativity+coenergy term in the book section.

robphy said:
And this distinction leads to an example where the Lagrangian is not always equal to the kinetic-energy minus the potential energy.
What does that mean?

sawer said:

As you noticed, in their "effort to avoid confusion" they actually caused it; surely you would not have been confused if they used the notation m0. The reason that they didn't do so is probably philosophical.

sawer said:
robphy said:
What does that mean?

Look on the next page of Tonti's Mathematical Structure of Classical and Relativistic Physics p.264.
The "kinetic" term of the relativistic lagrangian of a free particle is not its "relativistic kinetic energy" ##(\gamma-1)mc^2##.

Related to How can (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m give different results?

1. What is (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m in physics?

In physics, (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m are two equations that represent different forms of kinetic energy. (1/2)mv^2 is the classical kinetic energy equation, where m is the mass of an object and v is its velocity. p^2/2m is the relativistic kinetic energy equation, where p is the momentum of an object and m is its mass.

2. How can (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m give different results?

The two equations give different results because they are based on different theories. The classical kinetic energy equation assumes that objects have a constant mass and are moving at non-relativistic speeds. On the other hand, the relativistic kinetic energy equation takes into account the variable mass and high speeds of objects, as described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. Which equation should be used in different scenarios?

The choice of equation depends on the specific scenario and the accuracy required. If the object is moving at non-relativistic speeds, then the classical kinetic energy equation can be used. However, if the object is moving at high speeds or close to the speed of light, then the relativistic kinetic energy equation should be used.

4. Can (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m ever give the same result?

Yes, (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m can give the same result in certain situations. This typically occurs when the object is not moving at high speeds and its mass remains constant. In this case, the relativistic effects are negligible, and the two equations will give similar results.

5. Do (1/2)mv^2 and p^2/2m have any real-world applications?

Yes, both equations have real-world applications in different fields of science and technology. The classical kinetic energy equation is commonly used in mechanics and engineering, while the relativistic kinetic energy equation is used in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics, where objects can reach high speeds close to the speed of light.