How can a black hole be infinitely small?

In summary: The idea of a "singularity" results from applying General Relativity without taking into account quantum theory. Applying both leads to contradictions, so what is really going on is an open question.
Aaron380
Hi everyone. First post here!

It's an odd thought and relax I'm expecting to be wrong but the more I think about this the more interested I get.. Let's say you're chilling in the centre of earth, you feel no (little) pull because the gravity of Earth cancels out in all directions.

If a black hole is infinitely small how does it's own gravity hold it in because there is no direction that the matter would be being pulled as its in the centre of itself?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You are trying to apply Newtonian physics to a black hole, which is a situation which is far from being possible to describe in the Newtonian limit. It is simply not describable in those terms.

Likes QuantumQuest and bcrowell
Aaron380 said:
Hi everyone. First post here!

It's an odd thought and relax I'm expecting to be wrong but the more I think about this the more interested I get.. Let's say you're chilling in the centre of earth, you feel no (little) pull because the gravity of Earth cancels out in all directions.

If a black hole is infinitely small how does it's own gravity hold it in because there is no direction that the matter would be being pulled as its in the centre of itself?
Where did you get the idea that black holes are "infinitely small"? From the outside, black holes are defined by their event horizons. What happens inside is an open question of current theory.

Likes |Glitch|
mathman said:
Where did you get the idea that black holes are "infinitely small"? From the outside, black holes are defined by their event horizons. What happens inside is an open question of current theory.

Yeah I don't actually like that idea but it does appear to be the most common theory in research. The event horizon is not a physical border, simply a specific area of space with special meaning.

Aaron380 said:
The event horizon is not a physical border, simply a specific area of space with special meaning.
Be careful here! The event horizon is not a spatial surface, it is a null surface.

Aaron380 said:
Yeah I don't actually like that idea but it does appear to be the most common theory in research. The event horizon is not a physical border, simply a specific area of space with special meaning.
The idea of a "singularity" results from applying General Relativity without taking into account quantum theory. Applying both leads to contradictions, so what is really going on is an open question.

Related to How can a black hole be infinitely small?

1. What exactly is a black hole?

A black hole is an area of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses.

2. How can something be infinitely small?

The term "infinitely small" is often used to describe a singularity, which is the center of a black hole where the mass is concentrated. It is a point with infinite density and zero volume, meaning it has no physical size.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of black holes?

Yes, there is strong evidence for the existence of black holes. Scientists have observed the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the way they distort light and accelerate matter, and have even detected gravitational waves from the collision of two black holes.

4. How do scientists measure the size of a black hole if it is infinitely small?

Scientists measure the size of a black hole by looking at its event horizon, which is the point of no return where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape. The size of the event horizon is directly related to the mass of the black hole.

5. Is it possible for a black hole to have a finite size?

While the singularity at the center of a black hole is considered to be infinitely small, the event horizon can have a finite size depending on the mass of the black hole. For example, a black hole with the mass of the sun would have an event horizon with a radius of about 3 kilometers.