How Can a High School Student Learn About Superconductors?

In summary, the speaker is a high school student looking to self-learn about superconductors in order to make one for a science fair in May. They have had trouble finding resources and are seeking advice on materials to check out. They have been warned about the potential dangers of working with superconductors and have expressed their intention to learn the theory before attempting anything practical. They are also seeking recommendations for books to learn about superconductors.
TomasAlbert
Well, right now I am a high school student taking AP Physics C, BC cac and AP chem and I want to self learn about superconductors.
I have looked online and at my school library and have had little to no luck finding any documents that I can learn from. My goal is to learn about superconductors so that I can attempt to make one for the science fair in San Francisco in May, so I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advise on some material I should check out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds kinda dangerous. I doubt your school will allow you to do it. Check out LHC explosion

I know it is dangerous, which is why I plan on spending a lot of time learning the theory behind it before moving onto the practical

If your planning to measure how resistance drops at lower tempatures, then it might be practical. If you wanted to pass a high current becuase of superconductivity, that's slightly impractical.

TomasAlbert said:
My goal is to learn about superconductors so that I can attempt to make one for the science fair in San Francisco in May, so I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advise on some material I should check out.
You mean to produce a SC material yourself? It won't be easy to get the materials and equipment for producing high temperature SC.
As for the more "classical" SCs, the low temperatures required may be difficult to produce and maintain in a science fair.

The SC are not dangerous, if you can get some. A high temperature SC ceramic cooled with liquid nitrogen is a quite common classroom demonstration of superconductivity.

But what books should I get to learn about superconductors?

I'd first do with a google search.

FAQ: How Can a High School Student Learn About Superconductors?

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when it is cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. This means that electric current can flow through the material without any loss of energy.

2. How are superconductors different from regular conductors?

Unlike regular conductors, which have some resistance to the flow of electricity, superconductors have zero resistance. This allows them to carry electricity more efficiently and with less energy loss.

3. What are some real-world applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a variety of potential applications such as in power transmission, medical imaging, and transportation. They can also be used in magnets for particle accelerators and in levitating trains.

4. What are the challenges of using superconductors?

One of the main challenges of using superconductors is the need for extremely low temperatures to maintain their superconducting properties. This requires expensive cooling systems and makes it difficult to use them in everyday applications.

5. Can superconductors be used for energy storage?

Yes, superconductors can be used for energy storage. They can store large amounts of energy in their magnetic field and release it quickly when needed. This could be useful for storing renewable energy, such as from wind or solar power, for use during times of high demand.