How Can a Late Starter Prepare for University?

• Thread starter asterisk-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Starter
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to show their dedication to academics despite not being able to start college immediately. They are considering tutoring higher math and physics, but have also been homeschooled and may not have completed certain courses. It is suggested that they could attend a community college in the meantime to continue their education and maintain their academic skills before starting at a university.
asterisk-
Hi, I need some advice. I have to start collage later then I'd like to but I still want to get into a good university. I was home schooled and I studied hard, the SATs are not a problem but I'm out of high school and I could use some ideas on how to show I'm still trying, even if I can't start collage just yet. I thought maybe tutoring higher math and physics might help but I need more ideas...have any?

Physics news on Phys.org
oh! and I'm only 19.

If you are out of high school, then are you finished or graduated? What do you mean by "higher mathematics"?

If you at least studied and were issued credit for Algebra 2 and Trigonometry or "Pre-Calculus", then you could at least be able to tutor Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1. You could still attend a community college to continue your formal education if you do not yet know when you will attend a university. Community colleges should give no big obstacles for admission. Also, a community college would help you keep in academic shape before starting at a university.

Related to How Can a Late Starter Prepare for University?

1. What are some tips for starting a career later in life?

1. Start by identifying your passions and interests. This will help guide you towards a career that you will enjoy and be motivated to pursue.

2. Network with people in your desired field. This can help you learn about job opportunities and gain valuable insights and advice.

3. Consider taking classes or getting additional education to gain new skills or update your existing ones.

4. Be open to new challenges and opportunities, even if they may seem out of your comfort zone.

5. Stay positive and determined, as starting a career later in life may have its challenges, but it is never too late to pursue your dreams.

2. How can I make up for lost time in my career?

1. Prioritize your goals and focus on building the necessary skills and experience to achieve them.

2. Be proactive and take on new challenges and responsibilities to show your dedication and drive.

3. Network and seek mentorship from experienced professionals in your field.

4. Develop a strong work ethic and be willing to put in extra effort to catch up.

5. Stay motivated and remember that it's never too late to reach your career goals.

3. Is it too late to switch careers if I am a late starter?

No, it is never too late to switch careers. Many successful individuals have made career changes later in life and have found success and fulfillment. It may require additional education or training, but it is possible to switch careers at any age.

4. Can I still be successful if I am starting my career later in life?

Yes, success is not limited by age. It is important to set realistic goals, stay dedicated, and continuously work towards improving your skills and knowledge. Many successful individuals have started their careers later in life and have achieved great success.

5. How do I explain my late start to potential employers?

It is important to be honest and confident when explaining your late start to potential employers. Emphasize your motivation, drive, and any relevant skills or experiences you may have gained outside of your career. Show that you are eager to learn and grow in the new role and highlight the unique perspective and maturity you bring to the table.