How Can a Physicist Transition Into an Engineering Career?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter lkm49
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the speaker is a recent Physics Masters graduate who is struggling to find an engineering job due to not meeting the technical requirements listed in job postings. They have computational physics experience, but it does not align with the specific qualifications mentioned for engineering jobs. The speaker is frustrated and seeking advice on how to get past the gatekeeper and secure an entry level engineering position.
lkm49
I just graduated with a Physics Masters. I seem to have trouble trying to find an engineering job. I wanted to know how does a Physicist become an engineer?

My main problem is that almost all of the engineering jobs I see have requirements that I don't qualify for. The requirements are more technical than what I studied in my physics courses. As a result, I have had a really hard time finding anything that I really qualify for since I don't have a lot of engineering coursework or experience. I feel confident that I could learn those skills, but I never make it pass the gatekeeper (Human Resources), since I don't have the exact technical skills required.

I have the same problem with software. I don't have the qualifications as a Computer Scientist, but I do have computational physics experience from coursework and from doing a research thesis on a Molecular Dynamics algorithm. I am getting very frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you applied to these jobs or just looked and decided that you don't meet the requirements? You can probably get an entry level engineering position if you can get past the gatekeeper. This is easier at places that already know to hire people with physics degrees.

Here are some typical qualifications for my job:

• performing and writing validations of product, processes and equipment in accordance with FDA and ISO guidelines,
• designing, executing, and analyzing experiments based on statistical techniques,
• developing, troubleshooting and refining medical device manufacturing processes and equipment,
• conceptualizing and instituting improvements to a medical product and its manufacturability,
• evaluating proposed improvements to processes and products based on analyses of regulatory requirements, product quality needs, ergonomics, safety, environmental and economics,
• driving the efficient scale-up of manufacturing processes,
• developing and carrying out performance tests on a device to characterize and document its safety,
• designing, building and testing prototypes,
• documenting work via reports, technology notebooks, and design file entries,
• modeling the effects of the physiological environment on medical devices, and
• writing procedures, training other associates, and assisting other technical associates.

I definitely didn't cover any of that in my physics classes, except perhaps the part about conducting experiments, but that was not really a hindrance.

I can understand your frustration in trying to break into the engineering field with a background in physics. While there are certainly similarities between the two fields, engineering does require specific technical skills and coursework that may not have been covered in your physics program.

One option to bridge this gap is to pursue additional education or training in engineering. This could be in the form of a post-baccalaureate program, a certificate program, or even a second bachelor's degree in engineering. These programs can provide you with the technical skills and knowledge that are typically required for engineering positions.

Another option is to leverage your existing physics background and highlight the skills and knowledge that are transferable to engineering. For example, your experience with computational physics can be valuable in engineering roles that require data analysis and modeling. Additionally, your understanding of fundamental principles in physics can also be applied in engineering problem-solving.

Networking can also be a valuable tool in finding engineering opportunities. Attend industry events, connect with professionals in the field, and reach out to your university's alumni network to see if there are any engineering positions available. Often, personal connections can help you bypass the strict requirements listed in job postings.

Lastly, don't be discouraged by rejections or lack of qualifications. Keep applying and be open to entry-level positions or internships that can help you gain the necessary experience and skills. With determination and perseverance, you can successfully transition from a physicist to an engineer.

Related to How Can a Physicist Transition Into an Engineering Career?

What is the educational requirement to become an Engineer?

To become an Engineer, you typically need to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's degree or even a Ph.D.

What skills are necessary to become an Engineer?

Engineers need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong foundation in math and science. They should also have good communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work on a team.

How long does it take to become an Engineer?

The time it takes to become an Engineer can vary depending on the specific field and level of education. Typically, a bachelor's degree takes 4 years to complete, while a master's degree takes an additional 2-3 years. A Ph.D. can take 4-5 years after completing a master's degree.

What types of Engineers are there?

There are many different types of Engineers, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineers. Additionally, there are specialized fields such as aerospace, environmental, and biomedical engineering.

What are the job prospects for Engineers?

The job outlook for Engineers is generally positive, with projected growth in many fields. However, job opportunities can vary depending on location and industry. It's important to research specific job markets and industries to determine the demand for Engineers.