How Can a Recent Graduate Break Into the DSP Industry?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dsp
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a job in signal processing, particularly in the field of DSP. They express concern about unfamiliar terms in job listings, such as ASIC, FPGA, and VHDL, and ask for advice on how to teach themselves these skills. The expert advises that the most important skill to learn is VHDL and suggests practicing with a cheap FPGA. They also mention the possibility of needing to understand ASICs in the job. The expert then describes their experience working in the software, firmware, and hardware stages of a DSP-related job.
hammertime
Hi.

I just graduated in December with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from a prominent Southern California university. For privacy's sake, I won't disclose its name but I will say that its mascot rhymes with "shoo-ins". Anyway, while I was there I took classes on a lot of different topics but the ones I enjoyed the most were the ones on signal processing (DSP, signals and systems, image processing, etc.).

I'd love to get a job in that field but every time I search for DSP related jobs I see several terms in the requirements section that I've never even heard of. When I was in college I studied things like FIR filters, IIR filters, Z-transforms, sampling, etc. But in these job listings I see things like ASIC, FPGA, VHDL, etc.

How can I teach myself these things? I'm taking a few free open courses at MIT on signal processing and I got a few books on college-level DSP exercises for MATLAB, but is that enough? I know I saw a few books on DSP programming in C. Would that do?

In other words, where should I go if I want to get a DSP related job? Do I have to go to grad school?

Physics news on Phys.org
WARNING: The following opinion is based on experience from 10 years ago.

Out of those three terms (ASIC, FPGA, VHDL) the thing that you really need to learn is VHDL. The others will largely depend on the particulars of each assignment, and you should learn them as you go. At this point, you should stop reading my post, and go learn VHDL.

There are many different kinds of FPGA, where the variations include speed, size, and even architecture and implementation. If you want to practice on your own, then just choose one that you think you can use for a small project (e.g. the cheapest one), and start there. (I recommend one of Xilinx's.)

As far as the ASIC goes, I don't know what you would be expected to do about that. I'm curious what is the wording in the job requirements regarding ASICs.

EDIT:
Here's how the process basically works, as I remember it:

software stage:
Your company has an "arrangement" with some FPGA manufacturer. So, you get some computer software that "helps" to design (i.e. write VHDL code for) their particular brand of FPGAs. Then, you spend most of your time at your computer, pulling out your hair to find bugs and tweak little details like timing, because the software that is supposed to help you doesn't. Oh, yeah, by the way, all of the fun stuff, like filter design, is "already done", and your manager will tell you to "stop trying to reinvent the wheel - there's a deadline". This is the software stage.

firmware stage:
Meanwhile, someone in your team (possibly you) arranges the prototyping of the board where you need to implement the functionality that you're modelling in VHDL, and manufacturing produces, say, three prototypes with your FPGA on them. However, these boards have bad connections, and faulty components, so you take occassional breaks from your computer desk to visit the lab, where you work with the lab tech trying to narrow down where the problem is. This is the firmware stage, and you will go back and forth between firmware and software many times. I cannot stress enough the issue of nonideal manufacturing. An extremely important part of your job as an engineer may very well be to assume that these issues occur and then work around them with redundancy and robust design. This is what really separates the software stage from the firmware stage.

hardware stage:
Finally, after perhaps months (and certainly after the deadline), you think that you have all of the bugs worked out of your code and out of the prototypes. Your company (possibly you) made an "arrangement" with some ASIC manufacturer. This is where the real "fun" begins: The VHDL gets implemented in hardware. This is the hardware stage. You may have to go back to the firmware stage; if so, your manager will not be happy. If you have to go back to the software stage, you will suffer the wrath.

Last edited:
turin said:
WARNING: The following opinion is based on experience from 10 years ago.

Out of those three terms (ASIC, FPGA, VHDL) the thing that you really need to learn is VHDL. The others will largely depend on the particulars of each assignment, and you should learn them as you go. At this point, you should stop reading my post, and go learn VHDL.

There are many different kinds of FPGA, where the variations include speed, size, and even architecture and implementation. If you want to practice on your own, then just choose one that you think you can use for a small project (e.g. the cheapest one), and start there. (I recommend one of Xilinx's.)

As far as the ASIC goes, I don't know what you would be expected to do about that. I'm curious what is the wording in the job requirements regarding ASICs.

EDIT:
Here's how the process basically works, as I remember it:

software stage:
Your company has an "arrangement" with some FPGA manufacturer. So, you get some computer software that "helps" to design (i.e. write VHDL code for) their particular brand of FPGAs. Then, you spend most of your time at your computer, pulling out your hair to find bugs and tweak little details like timing, because the software that is supposed to help you doesn't. Oh, yeah, by the way, all of the fun stuff, like filter design, is "already done", and your manager will tell you to "stop trying to reinvent the wheel - there's a deadline". This is the software stage.

firmware stage:
Meanwhile, someone in your team (possibly you) arranges the prototyping of the board where you need to implement the functionality that you're modelling in VHDL, and manufacturing produces, say, three prototypes with your FPGA on them. However, these boards have bad connections, and faulty components, so you take occassional breaks from your computer desk to visit the lab, where you work with the lab tech trying to narrow down where the problem is. This is the firmware stage, and you will go back and forth between firmware and software many times. I cannot stress enough the issue of nonideal manufacturing. An extremely important part of your job as an engineer may very well be to assume that these issues occur and then work around them with redundancy and robust design. This is what really separates the software stage from the firmware stage.

hardware stage:
Finally, after perhaps months (and certainly after the deadline), you think that you have all of the bugs worked out of your code and out of the prototypes. Your company (possibly you) made an "arrangement" with some ASIC manufacturer. This is where the real "fun" begins: The VHDL gets implemented in hardware. This is the hardware stage. You may have to go back to the firmware stage; if so, your manager will not be happy. If you have to go back to the software stage, you will suffer the wrath.

So an FPGA is a pre-existing piece of hardware on which one would practice VHDL? And how hard is it to learn VHDL? Does it take long?

hammertime said:
So an FPGA is a pre-existing piece of hardware on which one would practice VHDL? And how hard is it to learn VHDL? Does it take long?

FPGA stands for Field-programmable gate array, and is basically just programmable hardware. You can simulate costume hardware configurations on an FPGA using different discription languages, VHDL (VHSIC hardware description language) and Verilog included.

VHDL is funky, but it's not very difficult if you've already done lots of programming (especially C/assembly/low level stuff.) If you've only done matlab, then you're probably in a bit of trouble as VHDL is more bit oriented.

story645 said:
FPGA stands for Field-programmable gate array, and is basically just programmable hardware. You can simulate costume hardware configurations on an FPGA using different discription languages, VHDL (VHSIC hardware description language) and Verilog included.

VHDL is funky, but it's not very difficult if you've already done lots of programming (especially C/assembly/low level stuff.) If you've only done matlab, then you're probably in a bit of trouble as VHDL is more bit oriented.

I'm familiar with C/C++ and MATLAB, and I've taken a digital logic design course (on gates, ALU's, etc.). So how long would it take to learn VHDL? Would I have to spend money on software/books, and if so, how much? How much time should I put in every day?

hammertime said:
So how long would it take to learn VHDL? Would I have to spend money on software/books, and if so, how much? How much time should I put in every day?
How good are you? VHDL basically boils down to a 3 credit course and 1 credit lab at my school, or two/three weeks in a 1 credit lab for the EEs. Basically, anywhere from a few hours a week for a couple of months to a few hours a week period.

Would I have to spend money on software/books, and if so, how much?
Start with Modelsim student (it's free), and work through a bunch of projects. As you get better, figure out if you think it's worth it to invest in an FPGA.

Last edited:
hammertime said:
So an FPGA is a pre-existing piece of hardware on which one would practice VHDL?
You could think of it that way at first. However, sometimes a company, group, or individual engineer may even decide to make the FPGA (along with its PROM) a quasi-permanent fixture of the design. This provides one solution for a circuit board that is expected to periodically change in an undetermined way. (Other options include redesigning the circuit module upon each upgrade, designing the circuit module with some kind of program memory, or even having jumpers that are physically soldered in or removed to determine the particular functionality; the choice should be an engineering decision, but it will likely be a managerial decision.) I worked with (inheritted) boards with FPGAs that had already served two years in the field. I suppose the main problem with this approach would be keeping the functionality private, so, perhaps not a good idea if you want to implement hardware-level cryptography.

story645 said:
How good are you? VHDL basically boils down to a 3 credit course and 1 credit lab at my school, or two/three weeks in a 1 credit lab for the EEs. Basically, anywhere from a few hours a week for a couple of months to a few hours a week period.

Start with Modelsim student (it's free), and work through a bunch of projects. As you get better, figure out if you think it's worth it to invest in an FPGA.

Aside from VHDL, what else do I need to learn? I mean, in school I just basically learned about z-transforms, DFT's, DTFT's, DCT's, and a little bit of MATLAB. How hard is it to learn things like statistical signal processing, adaptive filters, array processing, image processing, wavelets, estimation theory, detection theory, information theory, channel coding, source coding, etc.? Can I just learn them from a book or do I have to go to grad school for that?

What about audio engineering? What all would I have to learn for a career in that, and would I need to get a Master's in order to pursue a career in it?

hammertime said:
Can I just learn them from a book or do I have to go to grad school for that?
Sure, you can learn them from a book, maybe even well if you're suited to it, but I doubt anyone will take you seriously when you say that you know how to do something. Grad school is as much about giving you credibility as it as about learning something. That being said, I've done bits and pieces in some of the fields you're interested in learning from books, and they're hard, crazy hard, and require a lot of math you either haven't ever touched or haven't touched in years, on top of all sorts of applied math/statistics you've probably never done and still more outside knowledge. I don't think a book will help you learn what questions you'll need to ask of the techniques, tools, and data, and that's something grad school is very much about.

Related to How Can a Recent Graduate Break Into the DSP Industry?

1. What is DSP and why is it important?

DSP stands for Digital Signal Processing and it involves the analysis and manipulation of digital signals to extract information or modify the signal. It is important because it is used in a wide range of applications such as audio and image processing, telecommunications, and control systems.

2. How can I gain expertise in DSP as a recent graduate?

To gain expertise in DSP as a recent graduate, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, especially in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. Taking courses specifically focused on DSP and completing hands-on projects can also help develop expertise.

3. What skills are needed to excel in DSP?

Some essential skills for excelling in DSP include a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, programming skills in languages such as MATLAB or Python, and the ability to analyze and interpret data. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are important skills for success in DSP.

4. Are there any recommended resources for learning DSP?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning DSP, such as online courses, textbooks, and research papers. Some popular online courses include those offered by Coursera and edX, while textbooks like "Digital Signal Processing" by John G. Proakis and Dimitris K. Manolakis are highly recommended.

5. What are some common career paths for those with expertise in DSP?

Those with expertise in DSP can pursue various career paths in industries such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, biomedical engineering, and robotics. They can work as DSP engineers, signal processing researchers, or data scientists, among others.