How can an eighth grader in Greece challenge themselves in physics?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Someguyoutthere
  • Start date
In summary: I am doing well)Good for you! Participating in contests can be a great way to learn and show your teachers that you are doing well.
Someguyoutthere
So, as the title says, I am and eighth grader from Greece, I am interested in physics. I feel like what I am learning in school (we are currently on y=ax+b) is way to easy and I want to learn more. I am willing to study hard, what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and
:welcome:

This is a bit of a tricky question. In order to become good in physics you need a good foundation in mathematics. On the other hand, at your age you might be more interested in basic physics. At university the two go hand in hand, however based on what has already been learned at school.

Physics usually starts with classical mechanics and / or electro dynamics, mathematics with linear algebra and calculus, assuming basic geometry. So you can't get wrong studying those fields. However, this might result in frustration, since things are studied differently at university than at school. Alternatively you could read a book about physics written for high schoolers. I have one in my language, but I suppose there are also versions available in yours. Or you can make your way through Wikipedia and e.g. look for the experiments which led to nowadays physics.

Here are some links of what might be important for self-studying:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/self-teaching-gcse-and-a-level-maths.933639/# post-5896947

Whenever you get stuck, do not be frustrated and come on over instead. You will always get qualified answers on PF as soon as you show us that you have tried to find them on your own so we can see where your difficulties are. Just make sure you don't tell us "no clue at all". We can correct and guide, but we cannot hold entire lectures.

In any case: Stay curious and have fun!

Likes Someguyoutthere and FactChecker
Someguyoutthere said:
So, as the title says, I am and eighth grader from Greece, I am interested in physics. I feel like what I am learning in school (we are currently on y=ax+b) is way to easy and I want to learn more. I am willing to study hard, what should I do?
Glad to hear from another young brain!

I decided in my ninth grade year I wanted to become a physicist, and one of the first things I did was join Physics Forums. I've been on and off here for the past few years but am trying to get more active, and aspire to be a physicist, so coming to the Forums is definitely a solid first step for you!

Definitely do not be scared to work ahead on coursework, or potentially anything that interests you. As @fresh_42 mentioned, it is very important to have good foundations in math if you want to find success in learning about any science field. And honestly, I've learned a great deal just from looking stuff up here and the general internet.

Don't take too much advice... do what you feel is best for you! (Ironically, this too is advice:oldsurprised:)

Comeback City said:
(Ironically, this too is advice:oldsurprised:)
How do you find my solution out of this dilemma?
fresh_42 said:
In any case: Stay curious and have fun!

fresh_42 said:
How do you find my solution out of this dilemma?
A sound solution, I must admit :bow:

Have you already asked your math and physics teachers for guidance? They may have more advanced materials which you can work on your own. You can also ask them to enroll you in math and physics contests. Personally, I don't like the competition aspect of them very much, but they are a great way to get challenging problems in a structured environment.

You can also try the following books, which may or may not be too challenging for you right now:
L. C. Epstein - Thinking Physics
Paul Lockhart - Measurement

Likes Someguyoutthere and FactChecker
kith said:
Have you already asked your math and physics teachers for guidance? They may have more advanced materials which you can work on your own. You can also ask them to enroll you in math and physics contests. Personally, I don't like the competition aspect of them very much, but they are a great way to get challenging problems in a structured environment.

You can also try the following books, which may or may not be too challenging for you right now:
L. C. Epstein - Thinking Physics
Paul Lockhart - Measurement
Here in Greece there are three stages of mathematical olympiad qualifiers (I think the ones who pass the third stage participate in the balkan mathematical olympiad) and I passed the first two stages (the third stage not only was really hard, as expected, but it was on both 8th and 9th grade mathematics and i didnt find time to study, i did well nonetheless) and I am going to participate in the physics olympiad qualifiers here in Greece (the problems are ridiculously easy tbh). And my teachers really can't do anything except of enrolling me in such contests.

Guys, thnx really much for giving me advice, here's what I am thinking of doing: I will start studying everything from 8th grade all the way to the end of high school (my mother, a chemist, and my father a, "physicist" are willing to help) and also study about math and physics olympiads and after I develop a solid foundation I am going to move on to more advanced stuff (university physics and math etc). What do you think?

Sounds like a plan. Exercises are a good idea, although it hasn't to be on the level of olympiad problems. Maybe you want to participate in our monthly math challenge:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/math-challenge-february-2019.965425/ https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/math-challenge-march-2019.967174/
April - coming soon, and there are still open problems in older threads (set the thread filter on "challenge")

It is often sufficient to look up basic definitions on Wikipedia or nLab if you want to tackle non high school problems, so don't be afraid of the categorization. It is at least an opportunity to practice and to see how others solved it.

Likes Someguyoutthere

Related to How can an eighth grader in Greece challenge themselves in physics?

1. How can I improve my understanding of physics as an eighth grader in Greece?

One way to challenge yourself in physics is to actively engage in the subject. This can include practicing problems, conducting experiments, and asking questions. You can also seek out additional resources such as books, online tutorials, or joining a physics club.

2. What are some specific topics in physics that I can focus on?

Some topics that may be challenging for an eighth grader in Greece include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. You can also explore more advanced topics such as quantum mechanics and relativity, but it's important to have a strong foundation in the basic concepts first.

3. How can I apply physics to real-world situations?

Physics is all around us, so one way to challenge yourself is to look for ways to apply the concepts you learn in class to everyday situations. For example, you can calculate the speed of a moving object or understand the forces at play in a roller coaster ride.

4. Are there any online resources or tools that can help me challenge myself in physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help you in your physics journey. Some examples include interactive simulations, virtual labs, and educational videos. You can also join online forums or communities to connect with other students and educators.

5. How can I stay motivated and interested in physics as an eighth grader in Greece?

One way to stay motivated and interested in physics is to find a personal connection to the subject. This can be through a particular topic that fascinates you or a real-world problem that you want to solve using physics. It's also important to take breaks and not get overwhelmed, and to celebrate your achievements along the way.

Back