How Can an Electron Microscope Manipulate an Electron Beam in 2D Motion?

• Thread starter spizma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, an electron microscope uses an electron beam instead of a light beam to view small objects such as viruses. The "lenses" of the microscope consist of electric and magnetic fields that control the electron beam. To determine the position of an electron in this microscope, the equation x_f = x_i + v_xi t + .5 a_x t^2 can be used, where x_f is the final position, x_i is the initial position, v_xi is the initial velocity in the x-direction, a_x is the acceleration in the x-direction, and t is time. By solving for t using the quadratic formula, the position of the electron at a given point can be determined.
spizma

Homework Statement

It is not possible to see very small objects, such as viruses, using an ordinary light microscope. An electron microscope can view such objects using an electron beam instead of a light beam. Electron microscopy has proved invaluable for investigations of viruses, cell membranes and subcellular
structures, bacterial surfaces, visual receptors, chloroplasts, and the contractile properties of muscles. The “lenses” of an electron microscope consist of electric and magnetic fields that control the electron beam. As an example of the manipulation of an electron beam, consider an electron traveling away from the origin along the x-axis in the xy plane with initial velocity [tex] \mathbf{v_i} = v_i \hat{i} [/tex] . As it passes through the region [tex] x = 0 [/tex] to [tex] x = d [/tex], the electron experiences acceleration [tex] \mathbf{a} = a_x \hat{i} + a_y \hat{j} [/tex],where [tex] a_x [/tex] and [tex] a_y [/tex] are constants. For the case [tex] v_i = 1.80 \times 10000000 [/tex] m/s, [tex] a_x = 8.00 \times 100000000000000 [/tex] m/s^2 and [tex] a_y = 1.60 \times 1015 [/tex] m/s^2, determine
at [tex] x = d = 0.0100 [/tex] m the position of the electron

Homework Equations

[tex] x_f = x_i + v_xi t + .5 a_x t^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to find the value of t. I've tried reorganizing equations I know that have t in them, but I can't get a value that, when plugged into the position as a function of time equation, makes sense. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] x_f = x_i + v_xi t + .5 a_x t^2 [/tex]

What is the "i" after [tex]v_x [/tex]
? Should it be: [tex]v_{xi} [/tex] as meant to be initial velocity in x-direction?

If you write more on how you tried to solve for t, we can help you more.

But are you sure how to solve a quadratic equation? Is that your problem?

[tex] at^{2} + bt + c = 0 ; t = - \frac{b}{a2} \pm \sqrt{(\frac{b}{a2})^{2} - c/2}[/tex]

I figured it out

Never mind! I figured out the answer. To answer the above question, i just made a mistake in my latex code; the i should be subscripted as it represents initial. If your interested in how I found the answer, I found the velocity of the electron at d using the equation [tex] v^2_{xf} = v^2_{xi} + 2 a_x (x_f - x_i) [/tex] and then plugging that value into the equation [tex]v_{xf} = v_{xi} + a_x t [/tex] and solving for t. From there the problem is very easy.

Last edited:

FAQ: How Can an Electron Microscope Manipulate an Electron Beam in 2D Motion?

1. What is two-dimensional motion?

Two-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two perpendicular directions, typically represented by the x and y axes.

2. What is a projectile motion problem?

A projectile motion problem involves an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves in a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

3. How is two-dimensional motion different from one-dimensional motion?

In one-dimensional motion, an object moves in a straight line along a single axis. In two-dimensional motion, an object moves in two perpendicular directions and its motion is described by both x and y coordinates.

4. What are some common equations used to solve two-dimensional motion problems?

The kinematic equations, such as the equations for velocity and acceleration, are commonly used to solve two-dimensional motion problems. Additionally, the equations for projectile motion, such as the range equation and the maximum height equation, are also frequently used.

5. How can vectors be used to represent two-dimensional motion?

Vectors can be used to represent two-dimensional motion by showing the magnitude and direction of an object's movement. The x and y components of a vector can be used to determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration in two dimensions.