How Can Calculus Help Position the Center of Mass in a Hemiwasher?

In summary, to find values of A and B that place the center of mass within the hemiwasher, you need to find a relation between A and B that satisfies both A\le \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)} and B\ge \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)}.
Seda
Question Details:
I have two circles centered at the origin, one with radius A and the other with radius b.

Looking at the hemiwasher (area between) the circles form above the x axis, find the values of A and B that place the center of mass within the hemiwasher itself, not in the open middle space.

What i think i has solved so far: not necesseraly accurate:
I solved the Y value of the center of mass in terms of A and B to be::Y= (4(A^2+AB+B^2))/(3pi(A+B))

Please Help!

how can I use this to find values of a and b that put the y coordinate of the center of mass between a and b?

B is the smaller radii; the density is constant, so it is irrelvant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In other words, you want Y between A and B. You need to find A and B such that
[tex]A\le \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)}\le B[/tex]

You won't be able to find specific values of A and B, of course. You want to find a relation between A and B that will guarantee that inequality. I would recommend that you look at
[tex]A\le \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)}[/tex]
and
[tex]B\ge \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)}[/tex]
seperately.

Those should give you two relations between A and B. Both need to be satisfied.

FAQ: How Can Calculus Help Position the Center of Mass in a Hemiwasher?

1. What is the Center of Mass in Calculus III?

The Center of Mass in Calculus III is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system. It is also known as the center of gravity or centroid.

2. How is the Center of Mass calculated in Calculus III?

The Center of Mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the position of each mass in a system. This involves finding the mass and position of each component and using integrals to calculate the weighted average.

3. Why is the Center of Mass important in Calculus III?

The Center of Mass is important because it helps us understand the overall distribution of mass in a system. It can be used to analyze the stability and movement of objects, as well as to determine the balance point of a system.

4. Can the Center of Mass be outside of an object in Calculus III?

Yes, the Center of Mass can be outside of an object in Calculus III. This can occur when the object has an asymmetrical shape or when the mass is unevenly distributed within the object.

5. How is the Center of Mass related to moments and moment of inertia in Calculus III?

The Center of Mass is related to moments and moment of inertia in Calculus III because moments and moment of inertia are used to determine the position of the Center of Mass. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, and it is used to calculate the position of the Center of Mass in systems with rotational symmetry.

Back