How Can Community College Students Find Internships in Engineering or Physics?

In summary: Sure! You can try looking on websites like craigslist or Indeed, or contacting professors in your field to see if they know of any opportunities.
opengfrt
Hi, I'm a community college student looking for informations about interns and research that pertains to engineering or physics

My goal is to transfer to Harvey Mudd College, Georgia Institute of Technology, MIT, and if all else fails Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. So besides my GPA, internship is probably the distinguish factor for my future admission acceptance.

To be honest, i would have think that those interns are myths had not so many people claim to participate in them, because almost all the interns i look up require the enrollment of a 4 years college, furthermore, asking for the professors for research is as well frustrating. If anyone knows a particular method of searching internships and research or have informations about internships it would really great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried asking your professors for advice? While community college professors rarely do research of their own, they probably did at some point, and they may have some connections with local 4-year colleges or universities. Not all internships are part of a formal program like an REU; some are just through connections.

eri said:
Have you tried asking your professors for advice? While community college professors rarely do research of their own, they probably did at some point, and they may have some connections with local 4-year colleges or universities. Not all internships are part of a formal program like an REU; some are just through connections.

When applying to graduate school does research experience that is not part of an REU carry the same amount of weight?

Also, do research internships generally continue year-round, or are they limited to a specific time frame? I've seen many people talk about doing an REU "over the summer," and I was wondering if that was kind of a common time frame?

Sure, any research experience is good, REU or not. Just because it's not funded by the NSF doesn't mean you didn't learn something, or that you won't get to go to a conference or even get published as a result. An internship can be from a few months (typical REU) to a few years (over the course of several semesters).

yeah, i ask my professors, but it was fruitless

can you give me some directions to search for research projects?

FAQ: How Can Community College Students Find Internships in Engineering or Physics?

1. What are the qualifications or requirements for being an intern in a research project?

The qualifications or requirements for being an intern in a research project vary depending on the specific project and organization. Generally, interns are expected to have a strong academic background and relevant skills or experience. They may also be required to have a certain level of education, such as being enrolled in a college or university program.

2. How are interns assigned to research projects?

The process of assigning interns to research projects also varies depending on the organization. Some may have a formal application and selection process, while others may assign interns based on their qualifications and availability. In some cases, interns may also have the opportunity to express their preferences for specific projects.

3. What tasks or responsibilities can interns expect to have in a research project?

The tasks and responsibilities of interns in a research project may also vary, but they often include assisting with data collection and analysis, conducting literature reviews, and helping with experiments or observations. Interns may also have the opportunity to present their findings or contribute to publications, depending on the scope of the project.

4. Is there a specific duration for internships in research projects?

The duration of internships in research projects can range from a few weeks to several months, depending on the project and organization. Some internships may be full-time, while others may be part-time or allow for a flexible schedule. It is important for interns to clarify the duration and expectations of their internship before starting.

5. Are internships in research projects paid?

This also varies depending on the organization and project. Some internships may be unpaid, while others may offer a stipend or salary. In some cases, interns may also receive academic credit for their participation in a research project. It is important for interns to understand the compensation and benefits of their internship before accepting an offer.