How Can D'Alembert's Principle Help Solve This Problem?

• Thread starter Owen Griffiths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the student is trying to find the acceleration of an object that is 50kg and is pulled across a horizontal surface with a force of 250N for 15 meters. The student uses conservation of energy and the de Alembert's principle to find the final velocity and then uses the same equation to find the acceleration. The student realizes that the force - frictional force is not a real force and that it is the name given to the product of the mass and the coefficient of friction. The student then finds the acceleration using the Fnet equation which is the same as using Newton's law in the inertial frame.
Owen Griffiths

Homework Statement

Just asking for a little help on this question

50kg object is pulled across a rough horizontal surface with a uniform force of 250N for 15m from rest, the surface has a frictional coefficient of 0.4, calculate the acceleration using dealemberts principle
But this results in a minus answer, so I'm lost, any help would be appreciated!

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, d'alemberts principle

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have worked out the acceleration using conservation of energy using

PE+KE+Win = PE+KE+Wout+losses

To find the final velocity, and used

a=v^2-u^2/2s

To find acceleration which comes to 1.08m/s^2

Now the other part of the question is use d'alemberts principle to solve the same problem but I cannot for the life of me work this out, it's probably really simple but I just can't see it

I thought I would go down the route of force in minus the forces against = 0 to find the inertia force and use that to find acceleration, with F = -ma

But this results in a minus answer, so I'm lost, any help would be appreciated!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have already used the de Alembert's Principle in a way, after all how do you evaluate losses, Perhaps You think you have used Energy conservation Principle. But the principle that you have used, Newton's Laws of motion and de Alembert's principle are equivalent to each other and derivable from each other. Just think over. Solving a problem mechanically gives you pleasure may be but not insight. try to develop insight.

Also so called inertial force is not a force at all. That is also creating a conceptual problem, it is the name given to the product ma and because you think it is inertial you give it a minus sign but then you keep it on left hand side only try to equate the sum to zero. Sum of all forces including the so called inertial force = 0 is the principle. Personally I do not like the idea of inertial force at all. It creates more conceptual problems than solve them.

Completely agree on insight, but I'm struggling atm, just a bit of back ground, I'm not a maths or physics student, I'm doing a career change atm and have to study mechanical principle at this level, we have to go through so many topics that I have to admit I very rarely understand the topics we do but rather answer most of the questions parrot fashion, which so far has been surprisingly successful!

But more into the working out
Car Mass: 50kg
Co-efficient of friction is 0.4
N = (mg) = 50 x 9.81 = 490
Frictional Resistance (Fr) = μN = 0.4x490 = 196N
Distance = 15 meters.

PE + KE + Win = PE + KE + Wout + Losses
0 + 0 + (F x Distance) = 0 + (1/2 mv^2)+ 0 + (Fr x distance)

(F x Distance) - (Fr x distance) = 1/2 x mv^2

(250N x 15 meters) – (196 x 15 meters) = 1/2 x 50v^2

(250 x 15 meters) – (196 x 15 meters) / (1/2 x 50) = v^2

32.4 = v^2

5.69 = V

Velocity is 5.69 m/s

Then using

a=v^2-u^2/2s

I come to 1.08m/s^2

Would it be simply

Force - frictional force

250-196= 54

F=ma

54 = 50a

a = 54/50

This equals 1.08 m/s^2 in my first answer

However I thought I must use. F = -ma??

That is the expression for inertial force. Newton's law do not hold good for accelerated frames. So it does not hold good in the frame of the particle where it is at rest. But if we introduce the concept of pseudo force which defined as -ma, where a is the acceleration of the particle in inertial frame, then the law can be made hold true. So in its own frame acceleration = 0 so net force including inertial force = 0 so
Fnet = Fnet in inertial frame - ma = 0 which is nothing but the expression of Newton's law F net = ma in inertial frame. But note that ma is not the result of any interaction. But all those forces thatyou talked about in this problem relate to some interaction except -ma!

Related to How Can D'Alembert's Principle Help Solve This Problem?

1. How does D'alembert's principle help in solving problems?

D'alembert's principle is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics that simplifies the analysis of motion in a system by taking into account the inertial forces acting on the system. It helps in solving problems by reducing the complexity of the equations of motion, making it easier to determine the overall motion and forces involved in a given system.

2. Can D'alembert's principle be applied to any type of system?

Yes, D'alembert's principle can be applied to any type of system, regardless of its complexity or the type of forces involved. This principle is based on Newton's second law of motion and can be used to analyze both linear and rotational motion in systems.

3. What is the difference between D'alembert's principle and Newton's laws of motion?

While both D'alembert's principle and Newton's laws of motion deal with the motion of objects, they have different focuses. Newton's laws of motion describe the relationship between forces and motion, while D'alembert's principle simplifies the analysis by considering the inertial forces acting on a system.

4. How can D'alembert's principle be used in real-world applications?

D'alembert's principle has various applications in engineering and physics, such as analyzing the motion of a pendulum, determining the stability of structures, and calculating the forces acting on moving objects. It is also used in the design and analysis of machines and mechanical systems.

5. Is D'alembert's principle applicable to both static and dynamic systems?

Yes, D'alembert's principle can be applied to both static and dynamic systems. In static systems, the principle helps in determining the equilibrium conditions, while in dynamic systems, it simplifies the equations of motion by considering the inertial forces acting on the system.