How Can Gronwall's Inequality Help Prove a Mathematical Lemma?

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
In summary, Gronwall's inequality states that if $\phi$ is a nonnegative continuous function on $[a,b]$, and $\delta_1>0, \delta_2 \geq 0$, and $\delta_3 \geq 0$ are constants, then $\phi(t) \leq (\frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}+\delta_3)e^{\delta_1(t-a)} - \frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}.
kalish1
I need to prove the following with the help of Gronwall's inequality:

If, for $t \in [a,b]$, $$\phi(t) \leq \delta_2(t-a) + \delta_1 \int_{a}^{t}\phi(s)ds + \delta_3,$$ where $\phi$ is a nonnegative continuous function on $[a,b]$, and $\delta_1>0, \delta_2 \geq 0$, and $\delta_3 \geq 0$ are constants, then $$\phi(t) \leq (\frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}+\delta_3)e^{\delta_1(t-a)} - \frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}.$$

Here is the version of Gronwall's inequality that I am using:

**Gronwall:** Suppose that $a<b$ and let $\alpha, \phi,$ and $\psi$ be nonnegative continuous functions defined on the interval $[a,b]$. Moreover, suppose that $\alpha$ is differentiable on $(a,b)$ with nonnegative continuous derivative $\dot\alpha$. If, for all $t \in [a,b]$, $$\phi(t) \leq \alpha(t) + \int_{a}^{t}\psi(s)\phi(s)ds,$$ then $$\phi(t) \leq \alpha(t)e^{\int_{a}^{t}\phi(s)ds}$$ for all $t \in [a,b]$.**My attempts:**

I've tried everything with around 6 pages of work...

$1.$ I set $\alpha = (\frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}+\delta_3)$, and $\phi(t) = \delta_1$ as per the formula, and tried to match the formulae, but without success.

$2.$ I used the following link: Averaging Methods in Nonlinear Dynamical Systems - Jan A. Sanders, Ferdinand Verhulst, James Murdock - Google Books

and followed their suggestion (Lemma $1.3.3$), but that did not work. It looks like something is messed up in their proof of Lemma $1.3.3$.

$3.$ I set the top two inequalities (in my post) equal to each other and then solved for $\phi(t)$, but that yielded me something $\alpha(t) = \frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}+\delta_3$, which does not work.

$4.$ I set $\phi(t) =$ R.H.S. of the top inequality in my post and then differentiated, and tried to derive the result by an approach similar to the proof of Lemma 1.3.1, but that gave me unsatisfactory results.

What more can I do?

I have crossposted this question here: homework - Need help with proving a lemma - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
I need to prove the following with the help of Gronwall's inequality:

If, for $t \in [a,b]$, $$\phi(t) \leq \delta_2(t-a) + \delta_1 \int_{a}^{t}\phi(s)ds + \delta_3,$$ where $\phi$ is a nonnegative continuous function on $[a,b]$, and $\delta_1>0, \delta_2 \geq 0$, and $\delta_3 \geq 0$ are constants, then $$\phi(t) \leq (\frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}+\delta_3)e^{\delta_1(t-a)} - \frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}.$$

Here is the version of Gronwall's inequality that I am using:

**Gronwall:** Suppose that $a<b$ and let $\alpha, \phi,$ and $\psi$ be nonnegative continuous functions defined on the interval $[a,b]$. Moreover, suppose that $\alpha$ is differentiable on $(a,b)$ with nonnegative continuous derivative $\dot\alpha$. If, for all $t \in [a,b]$, $$\phi(t) \leq \alpha(t) + \int_{a}^{t}\psi(s)\phi(s)ds,$$ then $$\phi(t) \leq \alpha(t)e^{\int_{a}^{t}{\color{red}{\psi}}(s)ds}$$ for all $t \in [a,b]$.
You have quoted Grönwall's inequality wrongly. The $\phi$ in the exponential should be $\psi$, as indicated in red above.

You can write the term $\delta_2(t-a)$ as \(\displaystyle \delta_1\int_a^t \frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}\,ds.\) Now replace the function $\phi(t)$ by the new function $\phi(t) + \dfrac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}$. Take $\alpha(t)$ to be the constant $\dfrac{\delta_2}{\delta_1} + \delta_3$ and $\psi(t)$ to be the constant $1$, and apply Grönwall's inequality.

Opalg said:
You have quoted Grönwall's inequality wrongly. The $\phi$ in the exponential should be $\psi$, as indicated in red above.

You can write the term $\delta_2(t-a)$ as \(\displaystyle \delta_1\int_a^t \frac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}\,ds.\) Now replace the function $\phi(t)$ by the new function $\phi(t) + \dfrac{\delta_2}{\delta_1}$. Take $\alpha(t)$ to be the constant $\dfrac{\delta_2}{\delta_1} + \delta_3$ and $\psi(t)$ to be the constant $1$, and apply Grönwall's inequality.

Sneaky! How did you know to make those substitutions and transformations??

kalish said:

By the way, I believe $\psi(t) = \delta_1$.

kalish said:
By looking at the answer and working backwards! The answer includes the exponential of $\delta_1(t-a)$. Comparing that with the exponential of $\int_a^t \psi(s)\,ds$ that occurs in the conclusion of Grönwall's inequality, you can guess that $\int_a^t \psi(s)\,ds = \delta_1(t-a)$, so that $\psi(t) = \delta_1$. You can guess which functions to take for $\alpha(t)$ and $\phi(t)$ in a similar way.

Just one of those tricks of the trade. (Evilgrin)

Related to How Can Gronwall's Inequality Help Prove a Mathematical Lemma?

1. How do I approach proving a lemma?

The first step in proving a lemma is to read and understand the statement of the lemma. Then, try to break down the statement into smaller, more manageable parts that you can try to prove. It may also be helpful to look at examples or try to visualize the lemma in action.

2. What are some common techniques for proving a lemma?

There are several methods that can be used to prove a lemma, including direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by counterexample. Each method may be more suitable for different types of lemmas, so it is important to consider which approach would be most effective for the specific lemma you are trying to prove.

3. How do I know if my proof of a lemma is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your proof is to see if it follows logically from the given assumptions and axioms. Another approach is to have someone else review your proof and provide feedback or suggestions. Additionally, you can try to apply your proof to different scenarios to see if it holds up.

4. Can I use lemmas from other sources in my proof?

Yes, you can use lemmas from other sources as long as you properly cite them and give credit to the original author. However, it is important to make sure that the lemma you are using is applicable to your specific problem and that you understand how it fits into your overall proof.

5. How can I improve my lemma proving skills?

One way to improve your skills in proving lemmas is to practice regularly. You can also try working on more challenging problems or collaborating with other mathematicians or scientists to learn new techniques and approaches. Additionally, seeking feedback and actively seeking to improve based on that feedback can help you become a better lemma prover.