How can I access the Hipparchus HR Diagram data for my project?

• Thread starter Mu naught
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the person is looking for a large set of data points from an accurate HR diagram for a project. They talked to their professor who suggested using Hipparchus data, but the person has not been able to find it online. However, the link provided includes instructions for making an HR diagram using Hipparchus data.
Mu naught
Hi, I need a large set of data points from an accurate HR diagram. I will be performing some main-sequence fitting to measure the distance to an open cluster as part of a project.

I talked to my professor and he said trying using the Hipparchus data, but I haven't been able to find it online. What I need are the numbers used to construct the diagram so I can make a plot of them myself to compare with my own data. If you know what he meant, could someone point me in the right direction, or if you know of another source I could use I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mu naught said:
Hi, I need a large set of data points from an accurate HR diagram. I will be performing some main-sequence fitting to measure the distance to an open cluster as part of a project.

I talked to my professor and he said trying using the Hipparchus data, but I haven't been able to find it online. ..

http://cas.sdss.org/dr3/en/proj/advanced/hr/hipparcos1.asp

==quote==
Much like SDSS data, all Hipparcos data are available online. On the next page, you will use Hipparcos data to help make an H-R diagram. You will calculate the distances to several stars from their parallax angles. You will then use this distance, along with each star's visual magnitude, to calculate its absolute magnitude.
==endquote==

How did you not find the necessary stuff online? It seems to me that this website actually works through the example of making an HR diagram using Hipparchos data. Maybe I'm missing something. :smile:

Last edited:

FAQ: How can I access the Hipparchus HR Diagram data for my project?

What is the Hipparchus HR Diagram?

The Hipparchus HR Diagram, also known as the Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between the luminosity (or absolute magnitude) and the surface temperature (or spectral type) of stars. It was created by astronomers Ejnar Hertzsprung and Henry Norris Russell in the early 20th century.

How is the HR Diagram useful for scientists?

The HR Diagram is useful for scientists because it allows them to classify and understand the properties of stars. By plotting stars on the diagram, scientists can determine their evolutionary stage, age, and composition. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between stars, leading to further insights into stellar evolution.

What are the main features of the HR Diagram?

The main features of the HR Diagram are the main sequence, giant branch, and white dwarf region. The main sequence is a diagonal band that represents the majority of stars, where they spend most of their lives. The giant branch is a region where stars have moved away from the main sequence due to changes in their core. The white dwarf region is where low mass stars end their lives as hot, dense, and faint objects.

How does the HR Diagram relate to the life cycle of stars?

The HR Diagram is closely related to the life cycle of stars. The main sequence represents the phase where stars are fusing hydrogen in their cores, while the giant branch represents the later stages of fusion when the core has run out of hydrogen. The white dwarf region represents the final stage of low mass stars, while high mass stars may continue to evolve into other stages, such as red supergiants, before ending their lives.

Are there any limitations to the HR Diagram?

Yes, there are some limitations to the HR Diagram. It only applies to stars that are in a stable state of nuclear fusion, so it cannot be used for very young or very old stars. It also does not take into account certain factors, such as a star's chemical composition, rotation, and magnetic field, which can affect its position on the diagram. Additionally, the HR Diagram is based on observations of stars in our galaxy, so it may not be applicable to other galaxies with different compositions and evolutionary paths.

Back