How can I accurately find the line currents in a Wye-Delta three phase circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the three line currents in a three-phase power system. The solution using Mesh Analysis is understood, but when converting the Delta Load to a Wye load, the incorrect answer is obtained. The conversation also mentions the incorrect labeling of voltage supplies and suggests using either calculating the total impedance in Delta connection or using mesh equations to solve the problem. A book recommendation for similar problems is also provided. One person points out that dividing the phase voltage by the total line impedance is incorrect for a three-wire circuit.
scothoward
Hi,

In the attached file, the question asks to find the three line currents. I understand the solution using Mesh Analysis that was used. However, I am unsure as to why when I convert the Delta Load to a Wye load, I get the wrong answer.

Using Zwye = (1/3)Zdelta, adding the series line impedance with the load impedance, and then finding the line current using a single phase equivalent.

Essentially the Balanced Delta load becomes a Balance Wye load of 4 + j0.666. Then the line impedances will be in series with each individual load. So each impedance should be (4 + j0.666) + (1 + j2). Finally, the line currents will be the phase voltages (100 angle0, 100 angle-120, 100 angle120) divided by the series line and load impedance, 5 + j2.666.

Am I doing something wrong?

(I posted this in Homework Help 3 days ago, but received no response:frown:)

Attachments

• question3.JPG
    question3.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,259
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure the answers from the mesh analysis are correct? The line currents, IaA, IbB, IcC, should all have the same magniture and be 120 apart. Your Zwye has problems also.

Looking at your figure you will notice you have at least one voltage supply labeled incorrectly. You show both B&C phases as 100volts at an angle of 120 degrees. Although it appears that you corrected for it in your mesh 2 equations, if mesh two is correct, then the same voltage in mesh one is shown incorrectly. I get a different set of equations for mesh one than you have. Take yor time and look at where the current for each loop flows. Ask yourself, is mesh one current the only current that flows through this impedance? Another item is I do not see the impedance (12+j12) as having any affect on your current loops. Do you think that is correct?

Hope this helps.

Can anybody please help me to find a book where I can find more examples of this kind of problem.
Thanks

oh u can't solve for the line current with the phase voltage divided by the total line impedance.
that's perfectly wrong. u can only do that if that is a four-wire circuit but since it's a three wire circuit, that's wrong...there are ways to solve that
1) calculate for the total impedance in delta connection, then convert the supply source into delta connection, dividing the voltage over the impedance gives u the total line current.
2) use mesh equations just like in the solution.

FAQ: How can I accurately find the line currents in a Wye-Delta three phase circuit?

1. What is a Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuit?

A Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuit is a type of electrical circuit commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to distribute three-phase power. It consists of three sets of power lines, each with a voltage phase difference of 120 degrees, connected in two different configurations: a "Y" or wye configuration, and a "Δ" or delta configuration.

2. How does a Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuit work?

In a wye configuration, the three power lines are connected to a central point, or neutral, and each line receives a phase voltage that is 120 degrees out of phase with the others. In a delta configuration, the three power lines form a triangle, with each line receiving the full voltage of the circuit. Together, these two configurations allow for a more efficient and balanced distribution of power.

3. What are the advantages of using a Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuit?

There are several advantages to using a Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuit. Firstly, it allows for a higher power distribution capacity compared to single-phase circuits. It also provides a more balanced distribution of power, which reduces the risk of overloading and increases the overall efficiency of the circuit. Additionally, the use of three-phase power allows for smaller and more cost-effective wiring and devices.

4. How do you calculate the power in a Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuit?

The power in a Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuit can be calculated using the formula P = √3 x V x I x Cos(θ), where P is the total power in watts, V is the voltage, I is the current, and Cos(θ) is the power factor. This formula takes into account the three-phase power and the phase difference between the power lines.

5. What are some common applications of Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuits?

Wye-Delta Three Phase Circuits are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings, such as factories, power plants, and large buildings. They are also used in motor control circuits, electric heaters, and other high-power applications. Additionally, they are often used in renewable energy systems, such as wind and solar power, due to their efficient power distribution capabilities.