How can I approach these vector valued function problems?

• Thread starter nirali35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about two different problems, one involving finding the length of a cycloid and the other involving finding a parametization of a curve. The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the first problem and has already solved the second problem. They mention a placement practice exam but clarify that this is not a homework question. The other person advises them to study and come back with their own work, rather than having someone else do their work for them. The conversation ends with a warning not to pretend to know how to solve a problem if they truly do not know.
nirali35
Hey,

Can anyone please help me sove these problems:

These are two different problems form different sections.

1. Show that one arch of the cycloid r(t) = <t-sint, 1-cost> has length 8. Find the value of t in [0,2pi] where the speed is at a maximum.

2. Find a parametization of the curve. The intersection of the surfaces z=x^2-y^2 and z=x^2+xy-1

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formulas for velocity, speed, and arc length?

No, I don't.

Then you should go and study and then comeback with some of your work. Nobody will do your homework for you.

Actually this is no a homework question, its from a placement practice exam. So I didn't really know where to look for things. But, I think I have solved the 2nd. So Now just need help with 1st.

The attempt at a solution
2. z=x^2-y^2 and z=x^2+xy-1
x^2-y^2 = x^2+xy-1
x=(1/y) - y

z=(1/y)-y-y^2

Set y=t

Ans. r(t)=<(1/t)-t, t, (1/t)-t-t^2>

1. I have no clue where to start. Although, I did find formulas for it.
But can anyone please guide me on where to start?

This is a placement test?

If you honestly have no idea how to approach such a problem, the last thing you want to do is to "trick" the people scoring the placement test to think that you do. The result would be that you wind up in a course where they expect you to already be able to do things you have no idea how to do!

Related to How can I approach these vector valued function problems?

What is a vector valued function?

A vector valued function is a function that takes in one or more input variables and outputs a vector (a quantity with both magnitude and direction) instead of a single number. It can be represented by a set of equations or parametric equations that describe the relationship between the input variables and the vector output.

How is a vector valued function different from a scalar valued function?

A scalar valued function outputs a single number for each input variable, while a vector valued function outputs a vector. This means that a scalar valued function can be graphed on a one-dimensional number line, while a vector valued function needs to be graphed on multiple dimensions.

What are some real-life applications of vector valued functions?

Vector valued functions have many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they can be used to describe the path of a moving object in space, the forces acting on an object, or the color and intensity of pixels in an image.

How do you differentiate a vector valued function?

In order to differentiate a vector valued function, you need to apply the derivative to each component of the vector separately. This means taking the partial derivative of each equation or parametric equation that describes the vector output.

What is the significance of the domain and range of a vector valued function?

The domain of a vector valued function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible vector outputs. By understanding the domain and range, we can determine the limitations and behavior of the function and make predictions about its output.

Back