How Can I Best View the Atlantis Launch on February 7th as an Avid Photographer?

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Launch
In summary: Atlantis Launch on February 7th!Many people will go to the Kennedy Space Center to watch the launch of Atlantis on February 7th. You can buy tickets online or at the space center itself. The best way to see the launch is to buy tickets and get a viewing area.
Physics is Phun
Atlantis Launch on February 7th!

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches/scheduleStatus.asp"

I'm going to be in Orlando from the 31st to the 8th!
can someone tell me how I can go see this!? it looks like you have to buy tickets or something from the sight? I am an avid photographer and since I found out I was going to florida about 2 months ago I was hoping i'd be there for a launch. but when I looked it up in december it said there wasn't one in my timeframe. but now it seems there is!
I am so unbelieveable, pants-crappingly excited now! but I don't know what to do to make sure I see this. I was just planning on going to kennedy any of the days I'm down there for the tour and was just going to wing it, but now, I HAVE to get it right!
So, who's been to these launches and knows how it work? I want to be able to take some great pictures. the website says you buy your tour ticket and then you get to watch from their "watching area" or whatever, is this the best option to get the best view??
I have a 300mm lens on my camera, for all you photographers out there. so a fairly long lens that I can use from a distance, but not REALLY long. So is doing the tour thing the best way to see this launch, I would Imagine it will be pretty crouded on the tour. I don't want to a thousand people jamming their hands with their little cameras in the getting all in my way.
I'm all for being outside and watching from a distance also if that's a good way to go. I don't really know, I need some veteran advice here!

P.S
If you happen to be the one to tell me that I can't go cause it's all sold out, or that somethings screws up. or the launch gets delayed...I may go into a deep depression, and hate you forever

PPS why does the launch countdown thing say the next launch is in 3 days? is there another one I'm just missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.ksctickets.com/
buy your tickets here.
Honestly many people just drive down the road to the Cape, park as close as they can, use a zoom lens and take photos. You can see it from several miles away.

I'm jealous! I have tried numerous times to coordinate a vacation with a launch and have never managed to get it to work out in the end.

Related to How Can I Best View the Atlantis Launch on February 7th as an Avid Photographer?

1. When is the Atlantis Launch on February 7th scheduled to take place?

The Atlantis Launch is scheduled to take place on February 7th at 10:49 AM EST.

2. Where will the Atlantis Launch on February 7th be taking off from?

The Atlantis Launch will be taking off from Launch Pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

3. What is the purpose of the Atlantis Launch on February 7th?

The purpose of the Atlantis Launch is to deliver supplies and equipment to the International Space Station.

4. How many astronauts will be on board the Atlantis Launch on February 7th?

There will be a total of four astronauts on board the Atlantis Launch on February 7th.

5. How long will the Atlantis Launch on February 7th take to reach the International Space Station?

The Atlantis Launch is estimated to take approximately 8 minutes and 30 seconds to reach the International Space Station.