How Can I Build a Backyard Wave Pool for Surfing?

• Thread starter mnpoly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the Wave Garden uses compressed air to create waves. It is not a high technology, but it is affordable. Additionally, you could create a barreling wave by curving it up and over the surfer like in movies.
mnpoly
I just wanted to get some thoughts brewing on how I could build a wave pool for surfing in my back yard. In physics, what topics would I research so I could understand the concepts behind a wave pool? I don't know if any of you surf, but is it possible to create a barreling wave were its hollow in the middle? I would imagine if we could make an oscillating "sea floor" we could make that happen. In general, what materials would one need to build one of these? Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Here is a video of something that I'm after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=fI2cLDEzNUo

Here is an article to check out if your interested.
http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/8084-prepare-to-design-your-own-artificial-wave-for-surfing

Additionally, I'm looking for the physics involved in a moving wave as opposed to a stationary wave. I want it to operate as close to a real ocean as possible.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

The American Wave Machine company uses compressed air to power their waves. No oscillating "sea floor" necessary. You can use Google search for "Wave machine How does it work" and more. It's not high technology, but also not cheap.

As for your wish for a "barreling wave hollow in the middle", I guess you're referring to a wave that curves up and over the surfer like some I've seen in movies. Yes, you could make those kinds of breaking waves, too. You'd need high energy waves and then the bottom (depth) diminishing begins to play a part in the wave formation. Easy if you have the money!

Related to How Can I Build a Backyard Wave Pool for Surfing?

What is a wave pool for surfing?

A wave pool for surfing is a man-made pool or body of water designed to create artificial waves that mimic ocean waves. It is used for surfing, bodyboarding, and other water sports.

How does a wave pool work?

A wave pool uses a system of motors, pumps, and wave generators to create waves. The motors and pumps push water to one end of the pool, creating a swell that eventually turns into a breaking wave. The wave generators then shape and control the size and speed of the wave.

What are the benefits of a wave pool for surfing?

A wave pool provides consistent and controllable waves, making it ideal for surfers of all levels. It also eliminates the need to wait for natural waves, making it more accessible and convenient for surfers.

What are the potential environmental impacts of a wave pool?

There are several potential environmental impacts of a wave pool, including increased energy consumption, noise pollution, and disruption of local ecosystems. Proper design and management can help mitigate these impacts.

How can I build my own wave pool for surfing?

Building a wave pool for surfing requires expertise in engineering, hydrodynamics, and wave mechanics. It also involves significant costs and resources. It is recommended to consult with professionals and follow all safety and environmental regulations before attempting to build a wave pool.