How can I calculate the force needed to hold a book on a forearm?

• Thread starter rice1am
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the force required to hold a forearm and book using torque equations. The person asking the question initially assumes that the torque of the book is equal to the torque of the forearm, but is informed that this is incorrect. The solution involves setting an origin at variable positions and analyzing 3 torques, 2 of which are known. It is also important to consider the convention of positive and negative torque in calculations.
rice1am

Homework Statement

Figure shows a forearm holding a book.
a.) Calculate the force the biceps muscle must exerts to hold the forearm and the book.
**all answers should be in three sigdigs.

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = Frsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I assumed that the torque of the book = the torque of the forearm; so, I just assumed that the F of the book = F of the forearm.

But I know that's completely wrong, and the answer has been provided by my prof, but she did not provide an explanation as to how she got that.

Please if anyone can answer my question! I have an exam on Wednesday and physics was never my best subject :| Thanks!

**Image of the problem is provided**

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-06 at 7.29.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-06 at 7.29.16 PM.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

What you want to do is set the origin at variable positions.

For a system to be in equilibrium you need the sum of torques to be zero.
If you set an origin centered at the line of action, you will effectively eliminate any torque the force produces.
That leaves you with 3 torques to analyze, 2 of which are known.

It is important to note the convention of positive and negative torque in your calculations too.

FAQ: How can I calculate the force needed to hold a book on a forearm?

1. What is torque and how is it related to a problem?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In other words, it is the rotational equivalent of force. In a torque-related problem, the issue at hand is usually related to how much torque is being applied to an object, or how to generate a desired amount of torque.

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know two things: the force being applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to where the force is being applied. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are some common sources of torque-related problems?

Some common sources of torque-related problems include improperly tightened bolts, misaligned gears, and worn bearings. These issues can lead to an imbalance of torque and cause problems such as vibration, noise, and reduced efficiency.

4. How can I troubleshoot a torque-related problem?

The first step in troubleshooting a torque-related problem is to identify the source of the issue. This may require inspecting the affected components and checking for signs of wear or damage. Once the source is identified, it is important to properly tighten or adjust the affected parts to ensure proper torque is being applied.

5. Can torque-related problems be prevented?

Yes, torque-related problems can be prevented by regularly inspecting and maintaining equipment, ensuring proper torque is applied during assembly, and using high-quality components. It is also important to follow manufacturer's recommendations for torque specifications and to avoid over-tightening, which can cause damage to parts.

Back