How can I calculate the frictional force on a moving sphere in an ideal gas?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the frictional force on a sphere moving in an ideal gas, assuming elastic collisions between the sphere and gas particles. The differential and total cross-sections are given, and the number of molecules in a volume is calculated using gas density. The change in speed of the sphere is determined and used to find the resistance force. The final step is to evaluate the momentum change of either the sphere or a gas particle. Assistance is requested in this step.
gdumont
Ok, I need to find the frictional force on sphere of radius [itex]a[/itex] and mass [itex]M[/itex] moving with velocity [itex]v[/itex] in an ideal gas at temperature [itex]T[/itex].

If I put myself in the sphere frame, then diffrential cross-section is
[tex]
\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = \frac{a^2}{4}
[/tex]
and the total cross-section is [itex]\sigma_{\textrm{tot}}=\pi a^2[/itex]. How do I find the frictional force from this? Ellastic collisions between the sphere and the gas particules are assumed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, here's what I tought:

If the gas has density [itex]\rho[/itex] than the number of molecules in a volume [itex]\sigma_{\textrm{tot}}dx[/itex] is [itex]dN=\pi \rho a^2 dx[/itex]. If collisions are ellastic, then
[tex]
\textbf{p}_s + \textbf{p}_i = \textbf{p}_s' + \textbf{p}_i'
[/tex]
where the [itex]s[/itex] and the [itex]i[/itex] denote respectively the momentum of the sphere and the [itex]i[/itex]th molecule. The prime denotes the momentum after collision. (I assumed that molecules do not collide simultaneously.)

The change in speed of the sphere is
[tex]
dv = \frac{|\textbf{p}_s' - \textbf{p}_s|}{M}
[/tex]
From accelaration [itex]dv/dx[/itex] if the [itex]x[/itex] direction is chosen along the movement of the sphere we can find the resistance force
[tex]
F = M\frac{dv}{dx}
[/tex]
Now I need to evaluate either [itex]\textbf{p}_s' - \textbf{p}_s[/itex] or [itex]\textbf{p}_i - \textbf{p}_i'[/itex].

Anyone can help?

Last edited:

Related to How can I calculate the frictional force on a moving sphere in an ideal gas?

1. What is frictional force on a sphere?

The frictional force on a sphere is the force that resists the motion of the sphere when it is in contact with a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the surface of the sphere and the surface it is in contact with.

2. How is the magnitude of frictional force on a sphere determined?

The magnitude of frictional force on a sphere is determined by the coefficient of friction between the sphere and the surface it is in contact with, as well as the normal force exerted on the sphere by the surface. The higher the coefficient of friction and the greater the normal force, the greater the frictional force will be.

3. What factors can affect the frictional force on a sphere?

The frictional force on a sphere can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surface, the material of the sphere and the surface, the speed of the sphere, and the temperature of the surfaces.

4. Is there a formula for calculating frictional force on a sphere?

Yes, the formula for calculating frictional force on a sphere is F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

5. Can frictional force on a sphere be reduced?

Yes, frictional force on a sphere can be reduced by using a lubricant between the sphere and the surface, increasing the smoothness of the surface, or reducing the normal force exerted on the sphere.