How Can I Calculate the Heat Transfer for a Probe in a Belt-Furnace?

In summary, the problem is trying to figure out how to calculate the heat flux from the furnace to the probe.
_Bd_
Hi, I need help tackling this problem and I wanted help since I feel lost.

I have a probe running through a belt-furnace that has multiple stages for heating, I know the temperature of the oven at any given time (in minutes), the oven takes 8 hours and the Temperature profile looks like this:
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9382/capturexyg.png
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9382/capturexyg.png

I have to make a probe that can withstand that amount of heat, the part where I get lost is that I don't know how (or what) to calculate?

like if I want to get the Heat transfer from the oven to the probe how do I do that? (to see if it will melt) I know it should be
Q= Qconduction + Qradiation
(I am assuming conduction instead of convection, since the probe will be moving very slowly and therefore can treat the air as still)

I know the surface temperature of the probe as it enters (room temperature). should I get
over 400 Q's and add them up? (I can use excel) or should I get some average temperature? and get Q based on that?
If I use Qconduction = k T1-T2/x
what is T1 and T2? (I can assume they are the surface temperature and furnace temperature, but this will be changing over time), and what about x? is it the distance from where to where? I mean the whole furnace is at whatever temperature, so how do I find the heat transferred to the probe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to know the temperature of the probe. Does it not get up to 1200 degrees? Shouldn't the probe temperature be very close to the immediate surrounding temperature within the furnace (otherwise, why are you using a probe).

Chestermiller said:
Why do you want to know the temperature of the probe. Does it not get up to 1200 degrees? Shouldn't the probe temperature be very close to the immediate surrounding temperature within the furnace (otherwise, why are you using a probe).

its not the temperature, I want to know the heat, yes at some point the probe would get to 1200 degrees, but the point of this problem is to select materials , what I want ot know is the HEAT FLUX
how do I calculate it?

FAQ: How Can I Calculate the Heat Transfer for a Probe in a Belt-Furnace?

1. How does a furnace-belt system transfer heat?

A furnace-belt system transfers heat through convection, where hot air is blown onto the product being heated, and conduction, where the product comes into direct contact with the heated belt.

2. What materials are commonly used for furnace-belt heating elements?

The most common materials used for furnace-belt heating elements are stainless steel, nickel-chromium alloys, and ceramic materials. These materials have high melting points and good thermal conductivity, making them suitable for high-temperature heating applications.

3. How is temperature controlled in a furnace-belt system?

Temperature is typically controlled through a combination of airflow and power input to the heating elements. Sensors within the system can also monitor and adjust the temperature as needed to maintain a consistent level.

4. What are some common applications for furnace-belt heat transfer?

Furnace-belt heat transfer is commonly used in industrial applications, such as drying, curing, and annealing processes for products like paper, textiles, and food. It is also used in the production of glass, ceramics, and metal products.

5. What are the advantages of using a furnace-belt system for heat transfer?

One major advantage of using a furnace-belt system is its ability to provide uniform heating throughout the product, resulting in consistent quality. It also allows for precise temperature control and can handle high-temperature processes. Additionally, it is a cost-effective and energy-efficient method of heat transfer.

Back