How can I change voltage instead of current?

In summary: Summary: In summary, the issue was resolved by attaching all three terminals of the potentiometer to the board. Thanks to all who provided assistance.
kolleamm
TL;DR Summary
change voltage instead of current.
I have a micro controller that reads voltages from 0V to 5V
I did some tests on a potentiometer and I couldn't seem to get any readings of values in between. (range is 0-255 ,, 0 is for 0 volts and 255 is for 5V)
Therefore I'm assuming the voltage is staying the same as it turns but the current is changing.

How can I get the voltage to change instead of the current?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
Summary: change voltage instead of current.

I have a controller that reads voltages from 0V to 5V
I did some tests on a potentiometer and I couldn't seem to get any readings of values in between. (range is 0-255 ,, 0 is for 0 volts and 255 is for 5V)
Therefore I'm assuming the voltage is staying the same as it turns but the current is changing.

How can I get the voltage to change instead of the current?

Thanks in advance
It's not clear what your setup is. This "controller" is a power supply or a meter? You say it "reads" but maybe you mean it produces?

phinds said:
It's not clear what your setup is. This "controller" is a power supply or a meter? You say it "reads" but maybe you mean it produces?
My bad I meant a micro controller attached to a computer that reads input voltage values from it's pins.

kolleamm said:
My bad I meant a micro controller attached to a computer that reads input voltage values from it's pins.
OK, still very unclear
how about a schematic of your circuit, showing ALL component values
and what micro controller you are using

otherwise it is just a guessing game trying to figure out what you are trying to doDave

kolleamm said:
Reads input values from what? Is that device outputting a voltage or current signal? Typically you can change a voltage signal to a current signal by adding a resistor to the circuit...

kolleamm said:
I have a micro controller that reads voltages from 0V to 5V

The potentiometer has three terminals to solder to. It sounds like you connected to only two of these?

kolleamm said:
Hook it up like this. The "clockwise" (CW) potentiometer pin should connect to 5V, and the CCW pin should connect to ground. The wiper goes to your ADC input pin on the microcontroller (uC). R2 and C1 are optional, but will help to steady the readings you get.

https://www.w9xt.com/img_1224968365_15498_1331504476.png

Last edited:
Likes NascentOxygen and Asymptotic
NascentOxygen said:
The potentiometer has three terminals to solder to. It sounds like you connected to only two of these?
You were right, I had to attach all three to the board and that fixed it. Thanks all

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman

Related to How can I change voltage instead of current?

1. How can I change voltage instead of current?

There are several ways to change voltage instead of current. One option is to use a transformer, which can step up or step down the voltage depending on the ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils. Another option is to use a voltage regulator, which can maintain a constant output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage. Additionally, using a variable resistor or potentiometer can also help adjust voltage levels.

2. Can I change voltage without changing the current?

Yes, it is possible to change voltage without changing the current. This can be achieved by using a transformer, which can alter the voltage without affecting the current. However, it is important to note that the power (wattage) will remain the same, as power is equal to voltage multiplied by current.

3. Why would I want to change voltage instead of current?

There are several reasons why one might want to change voltage instead of current. For example, some electronic devices may require a specific voltage level to function properly, so adjusting the voltage can ensure that the device operates correctly. Additionally, changing voltage can also help regulate the power consumption and prevent overheating in certain circuits.

4. How do I know what voltage to change to?

The voltage level needed will depend on the specific device or circuit you are working with. It is important to consult the device's manual or do research to determine the appropriate voltage level. It is also crucial to ensure that the voltage source and the device are compatible to avoid damaging the device.

5. Are there any risks involved in changing voltage?

Yes, there are some risks involved in changing voltage, especially if done incorrectly. If the voltage is too high, it can damage the device or circuit, and if it is too low, the device may not function properly. It is important to take proper precautions and use appropriate equipment when adjusting voltage levels. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of electrical principles before attempting to change voltage.