How can I connect a full bridge gate driver to an Arduino?

In summary: You are doing this circuit as part of a university course, so you will need to build the h-bridge yourself. The TC44xx are low voltage drivers designed for 12V car battery operation. They are probably designed for 30 to 80 volts. If your motor voltage will be greater than a 12V car battery you will need a driver designed for 30 to 80 volts.
Engineering news on Phys.org
You may need to isolate the Arduino from the H-bridge. We need more information before we can help.
Please identify the H-bridge component(s) you will be using and what load will be driven.
Also; what power supplies will be switched by the H-bridge?

For the h-bridge I am using STP140N8F7 in the high side and either IRFZ40PbF or 2SK3845(Q) on the low side. The loads are 500W 24A DC motors and I think they will be supplied with 12V batteries.

The IRS2453 is a free running inverter driver with a fixed duty cycle. It is optimised to drive high voltage inverter transformers.
It is not designed to be driven with a PWM input signal or to drive a DC servo motor.
There are many other lower voltage half or full bridge drivers available that can be controlled with a PWM signal from an Arduino.

500W 24A DC motors suggests a 20 VDC rating, so I guess you will use the batteries in series to produce 24 volts.

There is a BTS7960B DC Motor Driver H-Bridge PWM for the Arduino.
See for example; http://www.instructables.com/id/Motor-Driver-BTS7960-43A/
One board has two half bridges so it will drive one motor in an H-bridge.

The BTS7960 has now been upgraded to the BTN7960 but the old part number is still best for searches.
The assembled board is available for less than US$20 from many suppliers.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dou...32669153168.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.ZdOSLW

Take a look here at the specs on the BTN7960 and download the data sheet.
http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/prod...?productType=db3a304413719f72011372e9554e00da

Last edited:
ha700 said:
If I used the IRS2453 with the mosfet transistors stated previous what type of load could I drive?
They are excellent MOSFETs. The inverter transformer being driven by the IRS2453 H-bridge would be limited to about 55V and 36A, which works out at 2 kW. Unfortunately you cannot control a motor with the IRS2453 as it is designed to drive a transformer load. It guarantees a duty cycle fixed between 48% and 52%. You can turn it on and off, but PWM is not possible.
ha700 said:
I would like to do this using an Arduino but am unsure on how the Arduino connects up to the driver. It will be using a pwm signal from the Arduino.
You are unsure because you cannot see how to do it, because it cannot actually be done. So you must identify a half-bridge driver that can be driven with a PWM signal and will drive your MOSFETs.

The cost of the two half-bridge drivers needed will probably be more than the dual BTS7960B based H-bridge that comes assembled with integrated MOSFETs.

The TC44xx are very low voltage drivers with VDD <= 18 volts. They are probably designed for 12V car battery operation.
If your motor voltage will be greater than a 12V car battery you will need a driver designed for 30 to 80 volts. You do not need 600V.

Related to How can I connect a full bridge gate driver to an Arduino?

1. How do I connect a full bridge gate driver to an Arduino?

To connect a full bridge gate driver to an Arduino, you will need to use four digital pins on the Arduino to control the four inputs of the gate driver. You will also need to connect the ground of both the Arduino and the gate driver together. Additionally, you may need to use a voltage divider or level shifter to ensure that the input signals from the Arduino are at the proper voltage for the gate driver.

2. What is a full bridge gate driver?

A full bridge gate driver is a type of electronic component that is used to control the switching of a full bridge circuit. It typically has four input pins, two for controlling the upper half of the bridge and two for controlling the lower half. It is commonly used in power electronics applications to control the flow of high currents through a full bridge circuit.

3. Why do I need a gate driver to control a full bridge circuit?

A gate driver is necessary for controlling a full bridge circuit because it provides the necessary high current and voltage signals to switch the transistors in the bridge. Without a gate driver, the Arduino would not be able to provide enough power to switch the transistors, and the circuit would not function properly.

4. Can I use any full bridge gate driver with an Arduino?

While there are many different types and brands of full bridge gate drivers available, not all of them are compatible with an Arduino. It is essential to check the specifications of the gate driver to ensure that it can be controlled by the Arduino's digital pins and that the input voltage and current requirements are within the range of the Arduino's capabilities.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when connecting a full bridge gate driver to an Arduino?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when connecting a full bridge gate driver to an Arduino. First, make sure to double-check the wiring to ensure that all connections are correct and secure. Additionally, it is essential to use proper insulation and safety measures when working with high currents. It is also a good idea to start with low power and test the circuit before increasing the voltage and current to avoid damaging the components.