How Can I Control a Stepper Motor with LabView?

• Thread starter basem85
  • Start date
In summary, the problem the OP is facing is complicated and he is looking for a simpler solution. He is also looking for help from the community.
basem85
Good day everybody:smile:
I'm new participant here and i would like to know your ideas and opinions about the issue am facing theses days...
first of all ...am working on my senior how to drive a solar tracking system with LabView(which i hate really much)so i was facing a problem in driving the motor which will move the plate(or the solar panel)..
So, i started working on a stepper-motor which hard job to finish and i wasn't able to fully control it as i wanted, so a friend of mine he told me to try with a servo-motor which much nicer and easier to deal with ...
So guys i was thinking if somebody could help me in some points cause (to be honest with you:my college resources are too poor so am like working by myself to finish the project)...
waiting for your ideas...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why did the stepper motor solution not work well for you? Especially geared down, it seems like a stepper system would be the best way to go...

Welcome to the PF!

thanks berkeman (i was looking in the forum in general and i found that you are one of the most famous ppl in here ;) )
The problem i faced programming the motor on the LabView, which is really was complicated and i missed up at the end, so am trying now with a servo(dc) motor which i hope it is easier to move and control...
again thanks a lot for being the first one to reply...

Or you could replace the 10,000 transistor solution with a tube contaning freon and and a clothe wick. And it's solar powered too.

Phrak said:
Or you could replace the 10,000 transistor solution with a tube contaning freon and and a clothe wick. And it's solar powered too.

Hah! Occam's razor, and worthy of a Quiz Question, but for sure that won't help the OP at this point!

basem -- I don't see how a servo configuration will help, unless you can buy a module that has a high-level interface to Labview or something. Honestly, driving a stepper motor is just bit-banging, with limit switches to tell you when you are at the extent of the travel.

Perhaps you can post your code here for the stepper motor version, along with screenshots of the schematics. Maybe we can help you see if there are errors or misconceptions in your code that was causing the problems.

berkeman said:
Hah! Occam's razor, and worthy of a Quiz Question, but for sure that won't help the OP at this point!

Occam's straight razor vs. the imaginary application specific triple blade with egonomic handle, convenient quick release handle, low friction skid pad, and other academic whims.

Nowdays there ar H-bridge servo motor drivers all in one chip (up to maybe 1 amp at 24 volts). Small servomotors geared down have a lot of torque. On the other hand a stepper motor driver needs a special chip to clock through the 4 states and supply signals to driver circuits. You also need a clock signal (maybe an NE555 ?). Steppers are best if you need fractional turn precision without feedback. In any case, you will need a split photocell to provide left-right steering signals (for a single axis system) .

Re passive steering with freon or ammonia: I know Zomeworks (Albuquerque) used to make trackers for solar panels.. I think it works on re balancing the panels based on the the location and weight of the liquid phase of the gas. Around where I live, I would be very concerned about high winds moving the panels around, and I would use servomotors.

basem85 said:
So, i started working on a stepper-motor which hard job to finish and i wasn't able to fully control it as i wanted, so a friend of mine he told me to try with a servo-motor which much nicer and easier to deal with ...

There is a Yahoo Group that might be of help -- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/osmc/"

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How Can I Control a Stepper Motor with LabView?

1. What is motor-software controlling?

Motor-software controlling is the use of software to control the operation and movement of motors. This allows for precise and customizable control of motor functions, such as speed, direction, and torque.

2. How does motor-software controlling work?

Motor-software controlling works by using microcontrollers or other electronic devices to send signals to the motor. These signals dictate the desired speed, direction, and other parameters of motor movement. The software then processes these signals and sends them to the motor, which executes the desired movement.

3. What are the advantages of motor-software controlling?

There are several advantages of motor-software controlling, including increased precision and accuracy, faster response times, and the ability to easily adjust motor settings without physical modifications. It also allows for remote control and automation of motor functions.

4. What types of motors can be controlled with motor-software controlling?

Motor-software controlling can be used with various types of motors, including DC motors, AC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors. It is also compatible with different motor sizes and power ratings.

5. How is motor-software controlling used in industries?

Motor-software controlling is widely used in industries such as manufacturing, robotics, automotive, aerospace, and many others. It is used to control the movement of machinery, robots, and other equipment, resulting in more efficient and precise operations.

Back