How can I control the size of a multi-line equation?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary: CheersJust use the commands \Bigg(Your Equation ........................\Bigg). This is the simplest way to solve this...
EngWiPy
Hello,

I have two questions:

1- How can I control the size of a multi-line equation?
2- In a multi-line equation, I always need to open a brace in one line and end it at another line. But the problem is by using the following code:
Code:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
X=&\left\{...\right.\\
& \left. ... \right\}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

the two braces are not always of the same vertical length. How to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

In the first question, what do you mean by the 'size'?

For the second one: I haven't tested this, but you might try something like
Code:
\newcommand\twolines{3}{\ensuremath%
\begin{split}%
#1 = &\left\{\vphantom{#2}#1\right.\\%
       & \left. \vphantom{#1}#2 \right\}%
\end{split}%
}

and then use it like
Code:
\[ \twolines{X}{stuff on the first line}{stuff on the second line} \]

The trick lies of course in the use of \vphantom.

The quick-and-dirty way is to just make the brackets "by hand", so instead of \left and \right use \big, \bigg, \Big, etc.

CompuChip said:
The quick-and-dirty way is to just make the brackets "by hand", so instead of \left and \right use \big, \bigg, \Big, etc.

I've personally never ran into this problem, but if I did, that would be the approach I would take.

I will have to take a look at that phantom command though...

CompuChip said:
In the first question, what do you mean by the 'size'?

I mean the font size, because I have very long equations which takes much space in each page.

Why don't you make a line-break at some point so that the equation continues on the next line. This would preserve any unpleasant topography for the reader, and would assure that the equation doesn't overflow the page.

You can do this line break with a simple \\ wherever you want. Doing so, every part of your equation will be center aline. If you want to aline the equation specially, you can use && on each line.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
Why don't you make a line-break at some point so that the equation continues on the next line. This would preserve any unpleasant topography for the reader, and would assure that the equation doesn't overflow the page.

You can do this line break with a simple \\ wherever you want. Doing so, every part of your equation will be center aline. If you want to aline the equation specially, you can use && on each line.

Cheers

My equations are not single line, but multi-line equations, so I already did the line-break. But my request is: how to make these equations small enough to span a reasonable space on the page?

My remark is simple. If you have very long equations, and you change the font size, the reader might lose reading comfort, due to their overfullness.

I firmly believe that you should leave the font the way they are, and just make line-break to make them comprehensible. You will gain in reading comfort, which is probably why you use LaTeX.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
My remark is simple. If you have very long equations, and you change the font size, the reader might lose reading comfort, due to their overfullness.

How do we know, if we don't try? Let us try it, and then we decide.

Ok,

Here it goes. The font size in math mode are predefined in LaTeX. Therefore, a simple \fontsize or \Large only gives you a warning. This is due to a misunderstanding between the command given and the actions to be taken by the compiler.

Once in math mode, you can change the font size with the
Code:
{\...style}
command. For example,
Code:
{\displaystyle }
will appear full size. There are similar commands \textstyle, \scriptstyle, and \scriptscriptstyle.

Cheers

I want to make them of font size 10 pt, for example, how can I do that using the commands you presented?

Hi there,

The easiest way to do so, is to put the whole document to 10pt. You can do so within the doucmet class declaration : \documentclass{10pt}{report/book/article/letter}, and there you go, your math mode will also be at 10pt.

Otherwise, you will have to look at the size that suits from the different styles mentioned before.

I am sorry that I cannot be anymore help. It's just that you are writing in LaTeX, meaning that you might have a different point of view than the compiler for the layout. I stick with my suggestion from before, that the compiler might not be so bad.

Cheers

Dear David
Did you found any simple command in LaTex for your 2nd question regarding splitting of the long equation in the brackets? I have the same problem now. Beforehand thank you.

Artemida said:
Dear David
Did you found any simple command in LaTex for your 2nd question regarding splitting of the long equation in the brackets? I have the same problem now. Beforehand thank you.

Just use the commands \Bigg(Your Equation ........................\Bigg). This is the simplest way to solve this issue.

Regards

thank you

Related to How can I control the size of a multi-line equation?

1. How can I make a multi-line equation fit in a single line?

The easiest way to make a multi-line equation fit in a single line is by using the \begin{subequations}\end{subequations} environment. This will automatically number each line of the equation and align them horizontally. You can also use the \resizebox command to scale down the equation to fit in a single line, but this may affect the readability of the equation.

2. Can I adjust the font size of a multi-line equation?

Yes, you can adjust the font size of a multi-line equation by using the \fontsize command. However, it is important to note that making the font size too small may affect the readability of the equation. It is recommended to use a font size that is legible and appropriate for the document.

3. How can I align the equations in a multi-line equation?

To align the equations in a multi-line equation, you can use the align environment. This will align the equations at the specified points, such as the equal sign. You can also use the & symbol to indicate the alignment point within the equation.

4. Is there a way to control the spacing between lines in a multi-line equation?

Yes, you can control the spacing between lines in a multi-line equation by using the \\ command. This will add a line break and can be used multiple times to adjust the spacing between lines. You can also use the \vspace command to add vertical space between specific lines of the equation.

5. Can I adjust the size of only one line in a multi-line equation?

Yes, you can adjust the size of only one line in a multi-line equation by using the \scalebox command. This will scale only the specified line of the equation, while keeping the other lines at their original size. However, it is important to note that this may affect the consistency and readability of the equation.