How can I create stand-alone executables using QtCreator?

• Thread starter phyzmatix
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking help with creating stand-alone executables for distribution and is struggling to understand the instructions provided in a link. They are looking for simpler explanations or alternative methods and have searched for help on forums without success.
phyzmatix
Hi guys and girls!

I'm using QtCreator to write some simple applications and have tried my utmost to figure out how to create stand-alone executables (i.e. executables I could distribute to friends etc). Long story short, I just can't figure out how this stuff works (and yes, I've Googled).

Anyone know of any relatively straightforward ways of doing this? Know of useful links with dumbed down explanations? Anything at all (even if it isn't necessarily Qt related, I also sometimes use DevC++ and the MinGW compiler).

Here's an example of what I consider to be waaaay over my head:

[/url]http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/deployment-windows.html [/URL]

I need something simpler than this if such a thing exists...

Cheers!
phyz

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
While I wouldn't call the instructions at the link you gave "straightforward", they seem to be followable...presuming that they are correct and complete... Did you try? How about trying with one of their demos like the "Plug&Paint" they use?

There is a bit of a mystery in the first instruction about including any options that you require, which doesn't help much in deciding what options you might require. At a guess, if your program doesn't use any external libraries, you may not need any options.

I have no idea what QT is, but there must be a user's group or help forum someplace, eh?

I just realized now that I messed up the url tag :redface:

I've searched their forums, most of the related posts link to the page I included above. Will keep trying though :smile:

Related to How can I create stand-alone executables using QtCreator?

1. What is a stand-alone executable?

A stand-alone executable is a computer program that can be run without any external dependencies or software installations. It contains all the necessary code and resources to run on its own, making it easily portable and accessible.

2. How is a stand-alone executable different from other types of applications?

Unlike web-based or server-based applications, a stand-alone executable does not require an internet connection or a server to run. It can be downloaded and run directly on a user's computer without the need for any additional software.

3. What are the benefits of using stand-alone executables?

One of the main benefits of stand-alone executables is their portability. They can be easily distributed and run on different devices and operating systems without any compatibility issues. They also do not require any installation, reducing the chances of conflicts or errors.

4. How are stand-alone executables created?

Stand-alone executables are created by compiling the source code of a program into a single executable file. This file contains all the necessary instructions and resources for the program to run, making it self-contained and independent.

5. Can stand-alone executables be used for any type of program?

Stand-alone executables can be used for a wide range of programs, including games, utility software, and even complex scientific applications. However, they are most commonly used for simpler programs that do not require a lot of external resources or data processing.