How Can I Deepen My Understanding of High School Level Mathematics?

• Thread starter Not millenial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the applied mathematics isn't a problem, but I find that in mathematics I sometimes need to memorize methods rather than truly understanding the concepts.
Not millenial
Hello, I'm studying Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Physics at something roughly slightly less detailed than a-levels (Leaving Certificate). The applied mathematics isn't a problem at all, and the "understanding" clicks properly for me. However, in mathematics I find that it sometimes comes down to memorizing methods than a true understanding. I don't want to go into college level detail, and we haven't started Calculus yet (we will be doing it soon). I'm just looking at general pointers for going into slightly more detailed mathematics, with more opportunity for understanding at roughly the A-level/High School level.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything specific to this, sorry if I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not millenial said:
Hello, I'm studying Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Physics at something roughly slightly less detailed than a-levels (Leaving Certificate). The applied mathematics isn't a problem at all, and the "understanding" clicks properly for me. However, in mathematics I find that it sometimes comes down to memorizing methods than a true understanding. I don't want to go into college level detail, and we haven't started Calculus yet (we will be doing it soon). I'm just looking at general pointers for going into slightly more detailed mathematics, with more opportunity for understanding at roughly the A-level/High School level.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything specific to this, sorry if I'm wrong.

Can you give an example where you feel you are memorising the mathematics without understanding?

PeroK said:
Can you give an example where you feel you are memorising the mathematics without understanding?
It's not even like that, it's like I'm memorizing methods - I understand why they work but I just feel like I'm missing something. I don't know how to explain it. There was a piece in algebra to do with the minus b formula, where you use the -b2+4ac just to figure something out. I'll have a look for it.

Related to How Can I Deepen My Understanding of High School Level Mathematics?

1. Can you explain the concept of calculus in more detail?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It involves the use of limits, derivatives, and integrals to analyze and model various phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How is linear algebra used in real-life situations?

Linear algebra is a mathematical tool used to solve systems of linear equations, which has numerous applications in real-life situations such as economics, engineering, and physics. It is also used in data analysis, computer graphics, and machine learning.

3. What are some common applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used to solve problems involving triangles and angles. It has various applications in navigation, surveying, and engineering. It is also used in physics and astronomy to calculate distances and angles.

4. How does statistics help in decision making?

Statistics involves collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data to make informed decisions. It helps in understanding trends, patterns, and relationships in data, which can be used to make predictions and inform decision making in various fields such as business, healthcare, and social sciences.

5. What is the importance of geometry in our daily lives?

Geometry is used in everyday life to measure and describe the shapes and properties of objects around us. It is also used in construction, art, and design, as well as in navigation and astronomy. Additionally, geometry helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.