How can I design a basic guidance system for my model rocket?

In summary, the individual is building a model rocket and is in the design phase of creating a guidance system. This system will include a radio transmitter and receiver, as well as a gyroscope to determine the rocket's position and update steering orders. The individual is looking for resources to help with this project, but is warned that it is a complex and difficult task that has taken years of work by many people to accomplish. It is suggested that they start by purchasing pre-made equipment and gaining experience with radio controlled airplanes before attempting to create their own guidance system.
veganode
I'm building a model rocket from scratch; I'm now in the phase of designing a simple guidance system:

* Radio transmitter (From ground), Receiver on the rocket to get the basic orders Up, Down, Right, Left

* A gyroscope on the rocket to get the real position of the rocket and to update the steering orders depending on the rocket position

Can you provide me with some resources on how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, veganode, you're attacking an absolutely formidable problem, one that took decades of work by thousands of people to accomplish.

1) The thrust phase of a model rocket motor is only a couple of seconds long, and you'll only have active control during that time. You could conceivably add some movable control surfaces to the rocket, so you could control it during its descent, but control surfaces small enough to not interfere with the ascent won't really be able to have much effect.

2) The gimbals needed to adjust the thrust angle on a rocket motor are formidable. You will need quite good machining skills to make such devices.

3) You won't need just one gyroscope; you'll need three, one for each axis. You'll also need three linear accelerometers, plus the electronics to decode the sensor values and solve a complex set of differential equations to give you the position of the vehicle. You're looking at microprocessor-level electronics, probably a StrongARM or 286 or better. It took tens of thousands of man-hours of work to make an inertial guidance system that could fit in a cubic foot; you simply will not be able to accomplish it by yourself. Here's a document on the history of inertial guidance systems: http://www.imar-navigation.de/download/inertial_navigation_introduction.pdf

4) You can purchase a variety of off-the-shelf radio control equipment from a hobby shop. You can buy the transmitter and receiver units, plus servos and other equipment.

My honest advice? Scrap the idea of building an inertial guidance system. Scrap the idea of gimballing a rocket motor. Go to a hobby shop, buy a pre-made model airplane body and radio equipment, and start small. Once you're an expert on radio controlled airplanes, then you can start strapping rate gyros and microcontrollers in them to start learning guidance. It's a very, very long road ahead.

- Warren

Holy crud...what kind of rocket are you building that you need a guidance system on? Like Chroot said...good luck. I have seen missile guidance systems and they are very complex.

Thanks, I really Appriciate your help

chroot said:
My honest advice? Scrap the idea of building an inertial guidance system. Scrap the idea of gimballing a rocket motor. Go to a hobby shop, buy a pre-made model airplane body and radio equipment, and start small. Once you're an expert on radio controlled airplanes, then you can start strapping rate gyros and microcontrollers in them to start learning guidance. It's a very, very long road ahead.
As an example, my senior year in college, one team took on autonomous guidance of an RC plane as their project. I don't know if they got it to work or not, but either way, its a complicated thing that was the subject of a year-long project for about-to-graduate mechanical and electrical engineers.

Related to How can I design a basic guidance system for my model rocket?

1. What is model rocket basic guidance?

Model rocket basic guidance refers to the systems and mechanisms used to control the flight path of a model rocket. This includes the use of fins, stabilizers, and engines to stabilize and steer the rocket during flight.

2. How do fins affect the flight of a model rocket?

Fins are responsible for providing stability and control during the flight of a model rocket. They create drag and help to keep the rocket pointed in the desired direction by counteracting the forces of gravity and wind. The size, shape, and placement of fins can greatly impact the flight characteristics of a rocket.

3. What is the role of the engine in model rocket guidance?

The engine is the main source of thrust for a model rocket, which propels it into the air. It also serves as a guidance mechanism by controlling the direction and angle of the rocket's flight. The type of engine used can greatly affect the speed, altitude, and stability of the rocket.

4. How do you determine the optimal launch angle for a model rocket?

The optimal launch angle for a model rocket depends on a variety of factors, including the size and weight of the rocket, the type of engine used, and weather conditions. Generally, a launch angle between 60-80 degrees is recommended for achieving maximum altitude and stability.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when configuring model rocket guidance?

Some common mistakes to avoid when configuring model rocket guidance include using mismatched or improperly sized fins, using an engine that is too powerful for the rocket, and launching in windy or turbulent conditions. It is also important to carefully balance the weight of the rocket and its components to ensure stability during flight.

Back