How Can I Design a Stratospheric Airship for Monitoring Weather and Pollution?

• Thread starter alchemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary: You might be able to find a way to generate lift using turbines or other power sources. You might also need to find a way to control the airship's attitude and manoeuvre.
alchemist
Hi guys,

Its been awhile since my last post. Well, things have changed since i last visited this forum =) Not sure where do i exactly post this enquiry about my schoolwork but i'll just try my luck here.

Yup, I'm taking aerospace engineering, year 1. Its been two weeks into school and I've been slapped with a project to be completed within the next two weeks which will contribute to my final grades. I was to come up with a design for a stratospheric airship with the respective details as follows:

"Develop a concept for a high-altitude, long-endurance airship to monitor the
weather and pollution emissions over SEA. The airship is targeted to operate at the
18 km altitude mark and is required to operate continuously for months at a time. You are to
detail your concept in a report of about 15-20 pages in length. In your report, you should
address/include the following (not necessarily in the following order)"
a) Introduction
b) Identification of the payload and estimation of the vehicle mass. Include a mass
breakdown for the airship.
c) Considerations for the operating environment
d) Discussion and selection of the conceptual design (include hand-drawn sketches of the
proposed configuration with approximate layout of the payload, balloon(s), control,
power and propulsion systems).
e) From the vehicle mass estimate, propose how you will generate the lift required and
estimate the volume of the vehicle.
f) Proposed power and propulsion system.
g) Method for attitude control and manoeuvring (include estimates of drag, thrust and the
expected vehicle velocity during such manoeuvres).
h) Any other considerations and discussions.

I am not looking for answers here, merely some guidelines as to how do i go about doing this. After all, i know next to nothing about this matter. Two weeks of lessons didnt provide me with substantial knowledge at all, so please, i implore upon u to give me some ideas on even how to start on this project.

I have done some research on stratospheric vehicles, and it has begin to shed some light on the issue thanks to the internet. But more detailed technical knowledge are still needed. like estimating the mass, how should the propulsion system work etc etc.

Thank you guys!

regards

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step would be to find the density and temperature of the air at 18km
That will allow you work out how much volume of lifting gas you need for the payload.

Start with high altitude balloons, and see where that leads.

Related to How Can I Design a Stratospheric Airship for Monitoring Weather and Pollution?

1. What is a stratospheric airship?

A stratospheric airship is a type of aircraft that is designed to operate in the stratosphere, which is the second layer of the Earth's atmosphere. It is typically a large, helium-filled balloon that is powered by engines and can be controlled remotely or by a crew onboard.

2. How is a stratospheric airship different from a regular blimp or hot air balloon?

Unlike a regular blimp or hot air balloon, a stratospheric airship is designed to operate at high altitudes and has the ability to stay in one place for extended periods of time. It also has advanced propulsion systems and can carry heavier payloads.

3. What are the potential uses of a stratospheric airship?

Stratospheric airships have a variety of potential uses, including surveillance and monitoring of large areas, telecommunications, and scientific research. They can also be used for cargo transportation, disaster relief, and tourism.

4. What are the main challenges in designing a stratospheric airship?

Designing a stratospheric airship poses several challenges, including the need for lightweight and durable materials, advanced propulsion systems, and effective navigation and control systems. The harsh environment of the stratosphere, including extreme temperatures and winds, also presents challenges for the design.

5. What are the potential benefits of using stratospheric airships?

The use of stratospheric airships has the potential to reduce the cost and environmental impact of traditional aircraft, as well as provide access to remote or inaccessible areas. They can also be used for scientific research and disaster relief efforts, making them a valuable tool for a variety of industries.