How can I determine the drag coefficient of a cardboard propeller?

In summary, the drag coefficient of a sheet of cardboard can be calculated using the formula for drag force, which is dependent on the drag coefficient. The cardboard in question is 3mm thick and measures approximately 60cm by 20cm with a 100g weight attached to the bottom. The shape of the cardboard is similar to a propeller with slots and variable angles of attack. The angle of attack does have an effect on the coefficient, and it can be found experimentally through methods such as using a stopwatch and dropping the cardboard or using a spring scale and a car. Alternatively, the drag coefficient for various shapes, including flat plates, can be found on Wikipedia.
louisba
I'd like to know how to work out the drag coefficient of a sheet of cardboard. I know the formula, but to get it you need the drag force which in turn needs the drag coefficient.

For reference, the cardboard is about 3mm thick and is roughly 60cm by 20cm. It has a 100g weight attached to the bottom and is sort of in the shape of a propeller. Can anyone tell me how to work out the drag coefficient or tell me what it would be?

Also, the "propeller" has slots in it and has angles of attack sort of like flaps on an aeroplane, would the angle of attack have an effect on the coefficient?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle of attack does affect Cd.

Wiki has Cd for various shapes (including flat plates):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient

Of you could find it experimentally, with a stop watch and somewhere to drop your creation from.
Or a spring scale and a car... (take force values for various car speeds, though you may have to go quite fast to get the parallel flow situation..)

Doing it experimentally will likely be more accurate and, of course, more fun.

FAQ: How can I determine the drag coefficient of a cardboard propeller?

What is drag coefficient?

Drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that characterizes the drag or resistance of an object moving through a fluid. It is a measure of the air resistance that an object experiences as it moves through the air.

How is drag coefficient calculated?

The drag coefficient is calculated by dividing the drag force experienced by an object by the product of the density of the fluid, the object's velocity squared, and the reference area. This can be represented by the formula Cd = Fd / (0.5 * ρ * V^2 * A), where Cd is the drag coefficient, Fd is the drag force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the object, and A is the reference area.

What factors affect drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, its speed, the density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through, and the roughness of its surface. These factors can also vary depending on the orientation of the object in relation to the direction of motion.

Why is drag coefficient important?

Drag coefficient is an important concept in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics as it helps engineers and scientists understand the amount of resistance an object will experience when moving through a fluid. This information is crucial in the design of various vehicles, such as airplanes and cars, as well as other objects that need to move through a fluid with minimal resistance.

How can drag coefficient be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce drag coefficient, including changing the shape of the object to make it more streamlined, smoothing out its surface to reduce turbulence, and using materials with lower friction coefficients. Additionally, reducing the speed or density of the fluid can also decrease the drag coefficient.