How Can I Determine the Exit Velocity of Water from a Pipe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a pipe with a pressure gauge and valve. The goal is to find the velocity of the water leaving the pipe using known variables such as pressure, nozzle size, and atmospheric pressure. Possible equations that could be used include Bernoulli's equation and q=1/2P_{s}M^{2} γ, but the person has struggled to apply them to their experiment. They are seeking alternative approaches to finding the velocity.
alibond07

Homework Statement

Hi

I have constructed a pipe with a pressure gauge and a valve. I know the pressure of the air and water in the pipe. I know atmospheric pressure and I know the nozzle size. I want to be able to find the velocity of the water leaving the pipe.

Here are some variable I have:

1.)Pressure in pipe: (Static Pressure? I'm not sure about how to differentiate to stagnation pressure) (60psi)

2.) Nozzle diameter (3mm) , Pipe Diameter (15mm)

3.) Atmospheric Pressure (sea level)

Homework Equations

There is no set way to do this as it's a project of my own choice but after research I know that perhaps Bernoulli's equation may be relevant.

Another [tex]q=1/2P_{s}M^{2} [/tex] γ Which I think may be useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

After trying to use Bernoulli's equation and failing for many hours I gave up. I didn't understand the constant.

When trying to apply the second equation to my experiment I found that the dynamic pressure part was confusing me. I didn't know how this related to my experiment and by defining it online I didn't see how it could be obtained experimentally. Seeing as it's defined by it's velocity and that's what I'm trying to find out?

I was thinking about simply creating some distances and time results for the water and using those.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know a different approach to this? I've been at it for a long time and can't think of a way to do it apart from those two equations.

Related to How Can I Determine the Exit Velocity of Water from a Pipe?

What is the pressure velocity problem?

The pressure velocity problem is a physics concept that describes the relationship between pressure and velocity in a fluid. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases.

What are the key factors that affect the pressure velocity problem?

The key factors that affect the pressure velocity problem include the density of the fluid, the speed of the fluid, and the direction of the flow. The type of fluid, such as a liquid or gas, can also impact the pressure velocity relationship.

How is the pressure velocity problem used in real-world applications?

The pressure velocity problem has many practical applications, such as in aerodynamics, hydraulics, and meteorology. It is used to design efficient aircraft and cars, to understand and predict weather patterns, and to improve the performance of pumps and turbines.

What is Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to the pressure velocity problem?

Bernoulli's principle is a fundamental law of fluid mechanics that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is directly related to the pressure velocity problem, as it describes the inverse relationship between pressure and velocity in a fluid.

How does the pressure velocity problem differ for compressible and incompressible fluids?

The pressure velocity problem behaves differently for compressible and incompressible fluids. Incompressible fluids, such as liquids, follow the standard relationship where pressure decreases as velocity increases. However, compressible fluids, such as gases, can have varying relationships depending on the temperature and density of the fluid.