How Can I Determine the New Initial State in a Homogenous Dirichlet Equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter onie mti
  • Start date
In summary, the boundary conditions on p being homogenous dirichlet and the initial condition p(x,0)=p_0(x) translate to an initial condition on q of q(x,0)=q_0(x) = -dp_0(x)/dx.
onie mti
I have this equation

View attachment 2365
given:

where the boundary conditions on p are homogenous dirichlet.

my work:
i know that q(0,t)=0 q(l,t)=0 for all τ>0.
and the initial conditon p(x,0)= p_0(x) also transltates to an initial condition on q.now how can i verify and indicate what the new initial state q_0 should be where i have to

Attachments

• 1at.png
    1at.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 54
Physics news on Phys.org
use the initial condition p_0(x)?The new initial condition for q can be determined by using the boundary conditions and the initial condition for p. At t = 0, q is equal to 0 at both x = 0 and x = l, so the initial condition for q must be 0. However, since q is related to p through the equation q = -dp/dx, the initial condition for q can also be determined from the initial condition for p. Taking the derivative of p_0(x) with respect to x gives us the initial condition for q:q_0(x) = -dp_0(x)/dx

FAQ: How Can I Determine the New Initial State in a Homogenous Dirichlet Equation?

What is a Homogenous Dirichlet?

A Homogenous Dirichlet is a mathematical concept used in the study of partial differential equations. It describes boundary conditions where the value of a function is specified on the boundary of a given domain.

What is the difference between Homogenous and Inhomogenous Dirichlet conditions?

The main difference between Homogenous and Inhomogenous Dirichlet conditions is that in the Homogenous case, the boundary conditions are dependent on the function itself. In the Inhomogenous case, the boundary conditions are specified independently of the function.

Why is the Homogenous Dirichlet condition important in solving partial differential equations?

The Homogenous Dirichlet condition is important because it helps to define the behavior of a function within a given domain. It allows us to analyze the function's behavior at the boundaries and use this information to solve the partial differential equation.

What are some real-world applications of the Homogenous Dirichlet condition?

The Homogenous Dirichlet condition has many applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in heat transfer problems to model the temperature at the boundary of a solid object. It is also used in fluid dynamics to determine the flow of a fluid at the boundary of a container.

How is the Homogenous Dirichlet condition related to other boundary conditions, such as Neumann or Robin conditions?

The Homogenous Dirichlet condition is a special case of the more general Robin boundary condition, where the coefficient of the function is set to zero. It is also related to the Neumann boundary condition, which specifies the derivative of the function at the boundary instead of the function value itself.