How can I display my framerate while playing games?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to display frame rate in various games such as Crysis, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Far Cry 2, and Battlefield 2. The use of FRAPS is mentioned but it is noted that it can significantly decrease FPS. Instead, console commands such as "r_DisplayInfo", "rs_stats", "ShowFPS", and "renderer.drawfps" can be used to display FPS. It is also mentioned that enabling certain graphics settings, such as sun shadows, can greatly affect FPS. Adding anti-aliasing (AA) may also impact FPS, depending on the type of game being played.
The_Absolute
When I'm playing games such as Crysis, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Far Cry 2, Battlefield 2, as well as others. Is there any way to display my frame rate in-game? Do I have to download a program for this? I heard that FRAPS displays your FPS during game play, but actually takes a lot out of your system, and actually cuts your FPS almost in half.

Is there anything I can type into the console which would show me my FPS?

Computer science news on Phys.org
For Crysis; "r_DisplayInfo = 1" and "r_DisplayInfo = 0"
Stalker; "rs_stats on" and "rs_stats off"
FarCry2; "ShowFPS 1" and "ShowFPS 0"
Battlefield2; "renderer.drawfps 1" and "renderer.drawfps 0"

You're right about FRAPS using quite a bit of resources. That's why it's not a good idea to use it to compare with other systems out there. It's decent at noting before-and-after changes to your system though.

B. Elliott said:
For Crysis; "r_DisplayInfo = 1" and "r_DisplayInfo = 0"
Stalker; "rs_stats on" and "rs_stats off"
FarCry2; "ShowFPS 1" and "ShowFPS 0"
Battlefield2; "renderer.drawfps 1" and "renderer.drawfps 0"

You're right about FRAPS using quite a bit of resources. That's why it's not a good idea to use it to compare with other systems out there. It's decent at noting before-and-after changes to your system though.

Thank you!

Those console commands did work. With sun shadows turned off, I get 45-90 FPS in STALKER Clear Sky. With sun shadows turned on, my FPS goes haywire. Could I maybe turn on some AA and still get good frames?

you can do it but its depend that which type of http://www.funrocker.com/games/computer-games.html" you playing if your are playing some 3D game than no issue otherwise i think there will be some problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How can I display my framerate while playing games?

1. How can I check my framerate while playing games?

There are several ways to display your framerate while playing games. One option is to use a third-party software, such as Fraps or MSI Afterburner, which can be downloaded for free. Another option is to enable the built-in framerate display in your game's settings, if available.

2. Can I display my framerate on any game?

Yes, most games have the option to display the framerate. However, some older or less popular games may not have this feature.

3. Will displaying my framerate affect my game's performance?

Enabling the framerate display itself should not significantly impact your game's performance. However, constantly monitoring your framerate may cause a slight decrease in performance due to the additional strain on your computer's resources.

4. How can I interpret the framerate display?

The framerate is typically displayed as a number, such as "60 FPS" or "120 FPS." This number represents the number of frames rendered per second. The higher the number, the smoother and more responsive your game will be.

5. Can I change the location or appearance of the framerate display?

This depends on the software or game you are using. Some software may allow you to customize the location and appearance of the framerate display, while others may have a fixed position and appearance. Additionally, some games may not have any options for customizing the framerate display.