How Can I Express This Function with a Complex Square Root Term?

• Thread starter Big-Daddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a function that is dependent on the term "y" and how to add an i^(some y function) term to the function to express when y is odd or even. The solution involves using the formula \frac{1+i}{2}+\frac{1-i}{2}(-1)^y and using the properties of (-1)^\epsilon to manipulate the equation. The process involves trial and error and picking up on various "tricks" over time.
Big-Daddy
(i being the complex square root of -1 here.)

I have a function which is dependent on the term "y", where, if y is odd, the function is multiplied by i, whereas if y is even the function is multiplied by 1. (y is always a real integer greater than or equal to 0.)

How can I add an i^(some y function) term to the function to express this?

I have identified that i^(1+multiple of 4)=i, whereas i^(0+multiple of 4)=1.

I considered i^(4y-3), but not only does this break down for small values of y, but it yields wrong results for when I want the function to be multiplied by 1 as it never results in a multiple of 4 being the degree of i.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex](-1)^y[/itex] is 1 when y is even and -1 when y is odd.
So [itex]\tfrac12\left( (-1)^y + 1 \right)[/itex] is 1 when y is even and 0 when y is odd.
Does that help you proceed?

[edit]And of course i0 = 1.[/edit]

I think the OP was looking for i if y is odd and 1 if y is even

What about

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[(-1)^y + 1] + \frac{i}{2}[(-1)^{y+1} +1][/tex]

Edit: I guess CompuChip intended his post to be a hint so that the OP could guess this formula. But I don't see harm in giving the complete solution here.

Exactly micromass, mostly because I didn't feel like figuring out the details :)

Actually your solution is better than what I had in mind (which was something like [itex]i^\sigma[/itex] where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is based on what I wrote before).

micromass said:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[(-1)^y + 1] + \frac{i}{2}[(-1)^{y+1} +1][/tex]
This can be written as
$$\frac{1+i}{2}+\frac{1-i}{2}(-1)^y$$

##i^\sigma## with ##\sigma=2y-1+(-1)^y## is possible, too.

Thanks all! Your formulae check out perfectly.

I was wondering how you come up with something like this? Is it roughly trial and error or do you somehow work back from the final goal?

Using [itex](-1)^\epsilon[/itex] (where [itex]\epsilon = 0, 1[/itex]) is quite a common trick, especially in physics. From there it's just a bit of playing and shuffling around: you add one to shift the -1 to 0, and then you have to divide by 2 to scale the 2 back to 1.

Of course then you can repeat the trick with [itex](-1) \cdot (-1)^\epsilon = (-1)^{\epsilon + 1}[/itex]. This basically gives you two "indicator" functions: one which is zero if epsilon = 0 and one otherwise; and one which is zero if epsilon = 1 and zero otherwise. So you multiply one by the number you want for epsilon = 0 and the other one by the other value, leading to micromass' answer. mfb's answer is obtained by opening the brackets and rearranging so that instead of (...)1 + (...)i you get (...)1 + (...)(-1)y.

You'll find that you pick up quite a lot of these "tricks" over time, and then it's often a matter of a bit of experience or luck to pick the right one and some creative shuffling around to adapt it to your needs.

FAQ: How Can I Express This Function with a Complex Square Root Term?

1. What is the "I" function in an equation?

The "I" function, also known as the imaginary unit, is a mathematical concept that represents the square root of -1. It is typically denoted by the letter "i" and is used in complex numbers and equations.

2. How is the "I" function used in equations?

The "I" function is used in equations to simplify and solve complex mathematical problems. It is often used in conjunction with real numbers to represent complex numbers in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

3. Can the "I" function be used in real-life applications?

Yes, the "I" function is used in various real-life applications such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems that involve oscillations, waves, and electrical circuits.

4. What is the difference between the "I" function and the square root of -1?

The "I" function and the square root of -1 are essentially the same thing. The "I" function is just a shorthand notation for the square root of -1, which is often used in complex numbers and equations.

5. Are there any other uses for the "I" function?

Besides its use in complex numbers and equations, the "I" function also has other applications in mathematics such as in trigonometry and calculus. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.

Back