How can I find the exact solution?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary: So you have to verify if $R$ is really the solution by testing it against $P$.For instance, if you have $m^{1/r} = 1$, you can raise both sides to the power $r$ and get: $m=1^r = 1$ which is true for any $r$. However, the original equation requires that $r\ne 0$....In this case, $R$ is the solution, because it is equivalent to $P$ and $P$ is true for any $r$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

$$\text{ Find an asymptotic exact solution of the recurrence relation: } S(m)=S(m^{\frac{1}{r}})+1, m \geq 2, r>1,\text{ applying the master theorem.} \\ \text{ Then, find the exact solution of the recurrence relation, considering that } S(2)=0.$$

Applying the master theorem, I found that $S(m)=\Theta(\log_2{ \log_r m})$.
Am I right? (Thinking)

Then, I thought to find the exact solution, using the substitution method.
I found that $S(m)=S(m^{\frac{1}{r^k}})+k$.

The recursion ends, when $m^{\frac{1}{r^k}}=2 \Rightarrow k=\log_r{ \frac{1}{2}}$.

The $k$ I found is negative... :eek: but, it isn't possible that the level, at which the recursion ends is negative.. (Worried)

Have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

$$\text{ Find an asymptotic exact solution of the recurrence relation: } S(m)=S(m^{\frac{1}{r}})+1, m \geq 2, r>1,\text{ applying the master theorem.} \\ \text{ Then, find the exact solution of the recurrence relation, considering that } S(2)=0.$$

Applying the master theorem, I found that $S(m)=\Theta(\log_2{ \log_r m})$.
Am I right? (Thinking)

Hey! (Happy)

It looks about right.
But how did you apply the master theorem?
The recurrence relation is not of the form $T (n) = aT (n/b) + f(n)$ is it? (Wondering)
The recursion ends, when $m^{\frac{1}{r^k}}=2 \Rightarrow k=\log_r{ \frac{1}{2}}$.

The $k$ I found is negative... :eek: but, it isn't possible that the level, at which the recursion ends is negative.. (Worried)

Have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

I think you did not solve for $k$ properly. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Hey! (Happy)

It looks about right.
But how did you apply the master theorem?
The recurrence relation is not of the form $T (n) = aT (n/b) + f(n)$ is it? (Wondering)

That's what I did:

We set $n=\log_r m \Rightarrow r^n=m \Rightarrow m^{\frac{1}{r}}=r^{\frac{n}{r}}$.

Then, we have $S(r^n)=S(r^{\frac{n}{r}})+1$ and we set $R(n)=S(r^n)$.

So:

$$R(n)=R \left ( \frac{n}{r}\right)+1$$

Now, applying the master theorem, we get that: $f(n)=1=\Theta(n^{\log_b a}) \Rightarrow R(n)=\Theta(n^{\log_b a} \log_2 n)=\Theta(\log_2 n) \Rightarrow S(m)=\Theta(\log_2{\log_r n})$
I like Serena said:

I tried it again and I got: $k=\log_r{\log_2 n}$.. Is it right now? (Thinking)

evinda said:
That's what I did:

We set $n=\log_r m \Rightarrow r^n=m \Rightarrow m^{\frac{1}{r}}=r^{\frac{n}{r}}$.

Then, we have $S(r^n)=S(r^{\frac{n}{r}})+1$ and we set $R(n)=S(r^n)$.

So:

$$R(n)=R \left ( \frac{n}{r}\right)+1$$

Now, applying the master theorem, we get that: $f(n)=1=\Theta(n^{\log_b a}) \Rightarrow R(n)=\Theta(n^{\log_b a} \log_2 n)=\Theta(\log_2 n) \Rightarrow S(m)=\Theta(\log_2{\log_r n})$

Nice! (Clapping)
I tried it again and I got: $k=\log_r{\log_2 n}$.. Is it right now? (Thinking)

Yep! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Nice! (Clapping)

Yep! (Nod)

So, is the exact solution of the recurrence relation equal to $\log_r{\log_2 m}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, is the exact solution of the recurrence relation equal to $\log_r{\log_2 m}$ ? (Thinking)

What do you get if you substitute that in the recurrence relation? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
What do you get if you substitute that in the recurrence relation? (Wondering)

We get $\log_r{\log_2 m}=\log_r{\log_2{m^{\frac{1}{r}}}}+1=\log_r \left ( \frac{1}{r} \cdot \log_2 m\right)+1=\log_r{\log_2 m}$

So, it is right, yes? (Smile)

evinda said:
We get $\log_r{\log_2 m}=\log_r{\log_2{m^{\frac{1}{r}}}}+1=\log_r \left ( \frac{1}{r} \cdot \log_2 m\right)+1=\log_r{\log_2 m}$

So, it is right, yes? (Smile)

Yes! (Party)

I like Serena said:
Yes! (Party)

Great! (Party) Thanks a lot! (Smile)

I like Serena said:

Using the substitution method, do we find the exact solution and so we don't have to show that it is actually the solution, or do we just find a hypothesis of the solution? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Using the substitution method, do we find the exact solution and so we don't have to show that it is actually the solution, or do we just find a hypothesis of the solution? (Thinking)

Generally speaking, you don't find the exact solution but only a hypothesis.
I wouldn't treat this case any other way. (Nerd)That is because a derivation is usually of the form: $P \Rightarrow Q \Rightarrow R$.
This means that $P$ and $R$ are not necessarily equivalent.
So you have to verify if $R$ is really the solution by testing it against $P$.

For instance, if you have $m^{1/r} = 1$, you can raise both sides to the power $r$ and get: $m=1^r = 1$ which is true for any $r$.
However, the original equation requires that $r\ne 0$. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Generally speaking, you don't find the exact solution but only a hypothesis.
I wouldn't treat this case any other way. (Nerd)That is because a derivation is usually of the form: $P \Rightarrow Q \Rightarrow R$.
This means that $P$ and $R$ are not necessarily equivalent.
So you have to verify if $R$ is really the solution by testing it against $P$.

For instance, if you have $m^{1/r} = 1$, you can raise both sides to the power $r$ and get: $m=1^r = 1$ which is true for any $r$.
However, the original equation requires that $r\ne 0$. (Worried)

So, you mean that we can use the substitution method, in order to find a hypothesis of the solution of the recurrence relation and then we have to verify it? If so, do we have to verify it, as we did in post #7 or do we have to do it in an other way? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, you mean that we can use the substitution method, in order to find a hypothesis of the solution of the recurrence relation and then we have to verify it? If so, do we have to verify it, as we did in post #7 or do we have to do it in an other way? (Thinking)

Yes, the way you did it in post #7 is a proper verification. (Nod)
It validates that all the solutions that you found are actual solutions.

In effect you verified that: $P \Rightarrow Q \Rightarrow R \Rightarrow P$.
Since the circle has been completed, we can tell that $P \iff R$.

I like Serena said:
Yes, the way you did it in post #7 is a proper verification. (Nod)
It validates that all the solutions that you found are actual solutions.

In effect you verified that: $P \Rightarrow Q \Rightarrow R \Rightarrow P$.
Since the circle has been completed, we can tell that $P \iff R$.

A ok... (Nod)

In order to find the exact solution, we see that the recursion ends, when $m^{\frac{1}{r^k}}=2 \Rightarrow \lg{m^{\frac{1}{r^k}}}=1 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{r^k} \lg m=1 \Rightarrow r^k=\lg m \Rightarrow k=\log_r{\lg m}$

To get from the relation $r^k=\lg m$ to this one: $k=\log_r{\lg m}$, it must stand: $m \neq 1$. Do I have to write it? (Thinking)

evinda said:
A ok... (Nod)

In order to find the exact solution, we see that the recursion ends, when $m^{\frac{1}{r^k}}=2 \Rightarrow \lg{m^{\frac{1}{r^k}}}=1 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{r^k} \lg m=1 \Rightarrow r^k=\lg m \Rightarrow k=\log_r{\lg m}$

To get from the relation $r^k=\lg m$ to this one: $k=\log_r{\lg m}$, it must stand: $m \neq 1$. Do I have to write it? (Thinking)

This is not necessary, since it is given that $m \ge 2$. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
This is not necessary, since it is given that $m \ge 2$. (Wasntme)

Oh, yes... right! Thank you very much! (Smirk)

Related to How can I find the exact solution?

1. How can I find the exact solution using scientific methods?

To find the exact solution, you can use various scientific methods such as experimentation, mathematical modeling, and data analysis. These methods help in systematically approaching a problem and finding the most accurate solution.

2. What are the key steps involved in finding the exact solution?

The key steps in finding the exact solution include identifying the problem, gathering relevant data, formulating a hypothesis, designing an experiment or model, analyzing the results, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

3. Can computer simulations help in finding the exact solution?

Yes, computer simulations are an essential tool in finding the exact solution. They allow for complex systems to be modeled and tested without the need for physical experimentation, saving time and resources.

4. Is it possible to find the exact solution for every scientific problem?

It is not always possible to find the exact solution for every scientific problem. Some problems may have multiple variables and factors that cannot be controlled or accurately measured. In these cases, scientists may settle for the best possible solution based on available data and evidence.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and validity of the exact solution?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of the exact solution, it is crucial to use reliable and validated data, follow scientific methods and protocols, and have the results peer-reviewed by other experts in the field. Replicating the experiment or study also helps in verifying the accuracy of the solution.